Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

what to get first

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im having a tough time deciding what to do first. i really want a set of 40" tires, but i also really want a full psc hydro steering setup. but then i need a set of ball joints and could use a set of control arms as my rear uppers are worn out.

tires-$1500-$1900 for set of 5
psc setup-$1900? on black friday
ball joints-$250-$550
metal cloak control arms-$1060 this weekend

what would you get first?

i figure the ball joints i could do anytime really, but im having a wandering issue that they could potentially fix, and the same would be helped with the psc stuff. control arms would get me a touch more caster to help with that and be a smoother ride. the tires i could likely get away without for a bit.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
already have a set of fusion 4x4 hyrbid dana 60's front and rear......

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what im thinking too. Probably do the steering first because of the black friday deals amd then ball joints then control arms.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Do the tires first. It will propel you into doing the rest real soon.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Do the ball joints first. If they are bad then I would think that it could affect the wear of the tires. If you are going to do it all with a few weeks then it probably shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the ball joints first. If they are bad then I would think that it could affect the wear of the tires. If you are going to do it all with a few weeks then it probably shouldn't matter.
I wish i was that rich!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I wish i was that rich!
I hear you, being semi retired one must watch the expenditures. I gave you that advice however, I have DW and have decided on new tires, high speed balance and a 4 wheel alignment first. With over 40,000 miles, the tires need to be done anyway so before checking for bad track bars, ball joints and related front end parts I decided to do them first.

I applied and received a Goodyear credit card with no interest for 6 months so the tires will go on that and allow me to pay them off slowly over 6 months at no extra charge. With the wife's birthday and the holidays coming up I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

If I still have DW after the new slippers are put on I will begin checking the other potential culprits and replace them as necessary.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Anything over 35" tires really needs the steering assist unless all you do is crawl the curbs at the mall. If the ball joints are bad, you got to do those too.

If you are set up right now, you really don't need to replace the existing control arms and don't get the tires until everything else is right.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts