Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... After about 5 months of waiting, I should be picking up my JLRU in the next 10 days. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? I've heard of loose fuses; dead-zone/steering issues; loose ball joints; high PSI in tires, etc. Not sure what's systemic versus one-off. Thoughts on what I should be checking before I take possession? Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
103,087 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Just remember, all good things come in time..:happyyes:

1. Look for power train oil leaks.

2. Look for paint and body damage defects.

3. General handling charactorists (steering, braking, and ride).

4. Engine and transmission performance.

5. Wind noise, while traveling at high speeds.

6. The Radiators cooling fan is extremely loud. Make sure that you can live with this loud noise.
7. General interior trim to your liking.

8. Does it have all of the options that you ordered.

I'm sure that other will add more to this list.

Reactions: stephenburns1

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
From the peanut gallery. Make sure it starts 10x in a row and the ac/heater fires up at start like it should. Verify every electrical system that has a switch you can control works. If they allow it, run it through a carwash or at least hose it down (leak check) if allowed to road test it, aim for a pot hole.

·
Registered
588 Posts
As a GSM of a dealer, here is what I have my salesman ensure before a customer leaves:

1. does your VIN match your paperwork? So important, but can be overlooked. And yes, this can happen. Switching stock numbers, etc...

2. Is the body free of any damage (blemishes, marks, cracks, etc.) I cannot tell you how many times a customer comes back in days or weeks later saying this crack was there .. this "insert issue" was there when I got it and we didn't see it. It was night time...it was raining...etc.

3. Is EVERYTHING promised in writing on a form we call a "we owe?" Again, customers come back saying my salesman promised me window tint or whatever...if it isn't wrote down, it isn't owed.

These are the biggest things, I think. The other items can be adjusted later. Example, my steering has that dead spot on the top...i had no issues taking it ( i don't run a jeep store) and knowing it will get taken care of. My soft top had a crease in the tinted window part...but a hair dryer and a little rubbing made it a non issue for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As a GSM of a dealer, here is what I have my salesman ensure before a customer leaves:

1. does your VIN match your paperwork? So important, but can be overlooked. And yes, this can happen. Switching stock numbers, etc...

2. Is the body free of any damage (blemishes, marks, cracks, etc.) I cannot tell you how many times a customer comes back in days or weeks later saying this crack was there .. this "insert issue" was there when I got it and we didn't see it. It was night time...it was raining...etc.

3. Is EVERYTHING promised in writing on a form we call a "we owe?" Again, customers come back saying my salesman promised me window tint or whatever...if it isn't wrote down, it isn't owed.

These are the biggest things, I think. The other items can be adjusted later. Example, my steering has that dead spot on the top...i had no issues taking it ( i don't run a jeep store) and knowing it will get taken care of. My soft top had a crease in the tinted window part...but a hair dryer and a little rubbing made it a non issue for me.
#1 happened to me this year on a motorcycle. About a month and a half after I'd owned it, they called me up, mixed it with another bike. They were good about it and took care of.

·
Registered
301 Posts
great lists so far. The steering would be #1 on my list as it seems to be a lot more common than it should be. Look for a dead zone in the center of the steering wheel, making it really hard to keep straight, try it at various speeds. Mine requires constant left and right corrections just to keep it centered in a lane, worse at higher speeds, some other said it was worse at lower speeds

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
great lists so far. The steering would be #1 on my list as it seems to be a lot more common than it should be. Look for a dead zone in the center of the steering wheel, making it really hard to keep straight, try it at various speeds. Mine requires constant left and right corrections just to keep it centered in a lane, worse at higher speeds, some other said it was worse at lower speeds
Sorry to hear about this malady. Is there a SB fixing this?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry to hear about this malady. Is there a SB fixing this?
There is a TSB that from what I have read ranges from doing nothing, fixing completely or somewhere in between. It will be going in this week for that, the cruise control recall and an overall check-over of all the steering components so hopefully that will be the end of it.

The JKUR we test drove definitely did not steer like the one we took delivery of, but with 5 months in between it wasn't really noticeable until I drove it for a few days. I also, ignorantly, didn't take it on the highway before we did all the paperwork (was afraid I would get stuck in MA traffic)

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
There is a TSB that from what I have read ranges from doing nothing, fixing completely or somewhere in between. It will be going in this week for that, the cruise control recall and an overall check-over of all the steering components so hopefully that will be the end of it.

The JKUR we test drove definitely did not steer like the one we took delivery of, but with 5 months in between it wasn't really noticeable until I drove it for a few days. I also, ignorantly, didn't take it on the highway before we did all the paperwork (was afraid I would get stuck in MA traffic)
As long as they get it "right" .... Good luck hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Mine did too. I just had it delivered Saturday. I checked the air pressure and they were at 42 psi. Lowered to 36 and it's there, but much better. So add tire preasure to the list.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I would not buy a JL with a mechanical issue. No matter how much they promise to fix it. I would go through the EVIC and all electronics. I sign papers on one I don't need to return before I buy it. They make more JL's every day, there is nothing special about the one on the lot other than that's the one the dealer wants you to take, today.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I focus on body/paint, panel alignment, etc. That's the stuff that's a lot harder to get "made right" after you walk away with it, because any paint defects, dents, etc could have happened under your watch.

Mechanical . . . sure listen for the big stuff. But there is a warranty for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Welcome to WF!!

I think @************ had a pretty solid list put together.
Ha! Yeah, I got you OP! This is a list I made when I was waiting for mine. It's basic things and issues I've seen posted on the forums. This should cover you.

JL Delivery Check List

- [x] Check hinges/Door sills for damage
- [x] Check grill/Lights for damage
- [x] Make sure all 4 Aux ports light up
- [x] Make sure all 4 USB ports work
- [x] Make sure DRL’s are working
- [x] Make sure Lockers/SBD’s are working
- [x] Make sure rear defroster & mirror defrosters are working
- [x] Check for off-road pages
- [x] Make sure drain plug holes are cut
- [x] Make sure hazard lights work
- [x] Make sure all speakers work
- [x] Check tailgate for plastic pins that could be broken
- [x] Make sure all fender flares are “Rubicon” model
- [x] Make sure red tow hooks aren’t damaged
- [x] Take jack and tire iron out of the back (Will rust into the body if wet)
- [x] Make sure Nav works and screen doesn’t go black
- [x] Make sure jeep doesn’t go to acc mode when foots I’m break
- [x] Make sure rear window buttons work
- [x] Make sure rear window defroster line is connected and connected to the glass window
- [x] Check roll cage for scratches
- [x] Check tailgate for damager/bends
- [x] Check tire pressure
- [x] Front suspension sway bar squeak
- [x] Check leather seats for holes

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ha! Yeah, I got you OP! This is a list I made when I was waiting for mine. It's basic things and issues I've seen posted on the forums. This should cover you.

JL Delivery Check List

- [x] Check hinges/Door sills for damage
- [x] Check grill/Lights for damage
- [x] Make sure all 4 Aux ports light up
- [x] Make sure all 4 USB ports work
- [x] Make sure DRL’s are working
- [x] Make sure Lockers/SBD’s are working
- [x] Make sure rear defroster & mirror defrosters are working
- [x] Check for off-road pages
- [x] Make sure drain plug holes are cut
- [x] Make sure hazard lights work
- [x] Make sure all speakers work
- [x] Check tailgate for plastic pins that could be broken
- [x] Make sure all fender flares are “Rubicon” model
- [x] Make sure red tow hooks aren’t damaged
- [x] Take jack and tire iron out of the back (Will rust into the body if wet)
- [x] Make sure Nav works and screen doesn’t go black
- [x] Make sure jeep doesn’t go to acc mode when foots I’m break
- [x] Make sure rear window buttons work
- [x] Make sure rear window defroster line is connected and connected to the glass window
- [x] Check roll cage for scratches
- [x] Check tailgate for damager/bends
- [x] Check tire pressure
- [x] Front suspension sway bar squeak
- [x] Check leather seats for holes

This should be made a sticky

·
Retired Moderator
103,087 Posts
Agree..good topic for a Sticky!!l

I did add some content to the Title subject.

·
Super Moderator
7,878 Posts
I would not buy a JL with a mechanical issue. No matter how much they promise to fix it. I would go through the EVIC and all electronics. I sign papers on one I don't need to return before I buy it. They make more JL's every day, there is nothing special about the one on the lot other than that's the one the dealer wants you to take, today.
I agree. Then do a walk around, pop the hood and drive it. Then make sure everything they promised you is there. Don't take a we-owe on keys, floor mats, or anything else for that matter. I remember giving customers we-owes and then parts or service strung them along for weeks, sometimes months on end getting stuff for them. If the vehicle isn't right during delivery time don't sign anything, and don't be afraid to get up and walk out. Deposits should only be left on a credit card so it can be disputed if the need arises, and leave the least amount of money possible for a deposit.

Oh, don't take delivery at night, daytime is always better.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts