Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
Im also looking for a list of what is supposed to be included with a new JL (Rubicon in my case if that matters) that is considered 'removable' as in someone might have taken it out or it was never put in:

2 keys...is there also a valet?
is there supposed to be a Jeep key chain or is that something the dealer might just throw in
What manuals come with the car....I assume no 'CD' as was the norm a few years ago
Jack I know about
Lug wrench I know
Is there a tool bag with Jeeps like many Euro cars include? whats supposed to be in it?
do wheel locks come standard or are those dealer options?

anything else thats not attached that is supposed to be standard?
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
422 Posts
One thing to look for that has a sinister tone to it is a dealer installed GPS tracker on vehicles.

If the dealer finance officer insists on making you pay for optional Theft Deterrent fee, the odds are pretty high the dealer installed a GPS tracking device on his inventory and wants to pass that cost on to you.

This is their tactic. They list "Theft Deterrence (optional) on the New Vehicle Purchase Order signed by the buyer and dealer authorized representative when closing the deal. The salesman will tell you they cannot remove the optional Theft Deterrence fee because its treated like a dealer add-on but the finance officer can remove it. Both of my car purchases the finance officer was very insistent the optional fee could not be removed and both times it was removed. However, this last purchase I physically I had to get up from my seat and tell him the deal is off before he finally removed the $249 fee.

It was at that point that me, him and the salesman walked out to the Jeep and I watched as the GPS tracker was removed. I'm not paying for his inventory loss prevention GPS tracking device.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Totally agree on the media hub/USB ports. I didn't check mine at the time of delivery and didn't find out they weren't working until the following weekend when plugging in to charge phone. Took back to the dealer first time and they replaced the Media Hub (even though the USB in the arm rest wasn't working either). Have to take it back and leave it with them again today to see if they can track down the issue. Very frustrating.

Ha! Yeah, I got you OP! This is a list I made when I was waiting for mine. It's basic things and issues I've seen posted on the forums. This should cover you.

JL Delivery Check List

• [x] Check hinges/Door sills for damage
  • [x] Check grill/Lights for damage
  • [x] Make sure all 4 Aux ports light up
  • [x] Make sure all 4 USB ports work
  • [x] Make sure DRL’s are working
  • [x] Make sure Lockers/SBD’s are working
  • [x] Make sure rear defroster & mirror defrosters are working
  • [x] Check for off-road pages
  • [x] Make sure drain plug holes are cut
  • [x] Make sure hazard lights work
  • [x] Make sure all speakers work
  • [x] Check tailgate for plastic pins that could be broken
  • [x] Make sure all fender flares are “Rubicon” model
  • [x] Make sure red tow hooks aren’t damaged
  • [x] Take jack and tire iron out of the back (Will rust into the body if wet)
  • [x] Make sure Nav works and screen doesn’t go black
  • [x] Make sure jeep doesn’t go to acc mode when foots I’m break
  • [x] Make sure rear window buttons work
  • [x] Make sure rear window defroster line is connected and connected to the glass window
  • [x] Check roll cage for scratches
  • [x] Check tailgate for damager/bends
  • [x] Check tire pressure
  • [x] Front suspension sway bar squeak
  • [x] Check leather seats for holes

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have read through this thread again, as My Jeep is on order. Looking to pick it up, early to late Octamer. I will my iPhone with a USB charger and check all the ports and sync with the Uconnect center screen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
if Yours has uconnect, make sure your someone there knows how to hook it up. You're dropping a LOT of coin...get what You are paying for.

ours didn't know the lockers from the sway bar disconnect, or, how either worked.

(no...i didn't want to buy from that dealer...much better half did. her car, her rules)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Picking mine up next week, have check out list printed up, will have sales rep show me how to connect iPhone to u-connect for sure.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
thanks for the welcome.....I just sold a 1971 Bronco to join the Jeep community so I know im not welcome back to that community.
Put it this way: you will have enjoyed your Jeep for an entire year...while they continue to wait for their Bronco to show up...:LOL:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I know this is mostly about ordering and pickup...but if you're buying one off the lot and it's last year's model, and you got a great deal on it...have a look underneath. The last one I bought, a 2018 JKU, brand new off the lot, had soooo much rust on the frame (only noted several weeks after the purchase), that I ended up getting rid of it 6 months after buying. I fought with FCA and finally got a $2k payout (thanks partially to the power of this here forum).

·
Registered
10 Posts
May seem minor, but be sure the supplied tool kit is supplied. Mine isn’t there. If you have a backup camera, you need the #40 Torx to remove the camera cover to remove the spare. Not something terribly common, like a screwdriver. Also has tools for windshield and hard top removal. And yes, tire pressure. I have never bought a new vehicle that had the pressure set correctly. Never!

·
Registered
467 Posts
OK, here is a different scenario regarding the inspection upon taking delivery.

I live in Alaska, and will be ordering a Jeep from a dealer in Idaho. The plan is for the Jeep to be transported by truck from Idaho to Bellingham, WA, at which point it will be put on "the barge" (as we call it here -- the cargo ship) that will then transport it to Anchorage; I will pick it up from Alaska Auto Transport in Anchorage.

So, what are my options in this case, if any, when I take possession of the Jeep in Anchorage? If I discover any problems, I can't realistically return it to the dealer in Idaho. If there is anything significantly wrong with it, should I refuse to take possession from Alaska Auto Transport?

I haven't yet asked around or found the right people to inquire about this here in Alaska, and I know that this is not an uncommon occurrence, to have new vehicles shipped up from other states. But it does leave me feeling rather uneasy.

PS: If anyone is wondering why I don't just order the vehicle here in Alaska, there are two main reasons for that: 1) it would probably cost me at least $6000 more, and quite possibly $8000 or more, to do that, and 2) the dealers here have a notoriously bad attitude about customers ordering vehicles, rather than buying off the lot, and will accordingly jack up the price even more. I have even heard of cases where customers were just flat-out refused the possibility of placing an order.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
I live in Bellingham; I could take a look for you before it goes on the barge.

Ideally, however, you may want to find someone to take a look at it at the dealership in Boise.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I live in Bellingham; I could take a look for you before it goes on the barge.

Ideally, however, you may want to find someone to take a look at it at the dealership in Boise.
Wow, Aldo, that is an awfully generous offer! But I agree, it would be best to have it inspected at the dealership, as any possible damage discovered afterward could always be (and almost certainly would be) blamed on having happened during the subsequent transport to Washington.

Yes, I could fly down myself to inspect it --- but with two round-trip plane tickets, car rental, and lodging, it would be a somewhat pricey proposition. I guess I need to ask around here more to find out how others have done it. I've talked to two of my neighbors who have ordered vehicles from dealers in Idaho, but in both of those cases the owners flew down and drove the vehicles back home on the AK Highway --- hardly a viable proposition nowadays, with the Canadians having all but completely shut their borders.

Thanks Aldo.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Go to the Idaho forum and leave a note.

I can think of a couple members in Idaho, but it is not my place.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, Aldo, that is an awfully generous offer! But I agree, it would be best to have it inspected at the dealership, as any possible damage discovered afterward could always be (and almost certainly would be) blamed on having happened during the subsequent transport to Washington.

Yes, I could fly down myself to inspect it --- but with two round-trip plane tickets, car rental, and lodging, it would be a somewhat pricey proposition. I guess I need to ask around here more to find out how others have done it. I've talked to two of my neighbors who have ordered vehicles from dealers in Idaho, but in both of those cases the owners flew down and drove the vehicles back home on the AK Highway --- hardly a viable proposition nowadays, with the Canadians having all but completely shut their borders.

Thanks Aldo.
Brilliant Aldo!

This is the "Dealer's hate him ... what is the ONE trick they don't want you to know"?

This is how Aldo drives the latest Jeep every year. He shows up to assist w/ a delivery inspection, takes off for a 'test drive' and is never seen again ... until next year's model comes out and he repeats the process. I learn so much from this forum!

Kidding of course. Posted to say that this post was extremely useful to me back in 2018 when we picked up my Wife's JLU Sahara. I looked at things I never would have thought of. We found nothing wrong and have had no probs w/ the vehicle since. But, I recall thinking at the time how impossible it would have been to go back to the dealer 1 year later for things like lether stitching problems, or other things that a dealer could have said were normal wear and tear.

Thanks to the original poster of the thread, and good luck to the latest Jeepers picking up their vehicles, and to Aldo for giving me ideas for my new "Vehicle ispection service" company.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
263 Posts
Being a retired Body Shop mgr. for so 30 plus years I can pretty much look over the vehicle in 3-4 minuets and see and hear just about all things to need to be taken care of before I take delivery of the vehicle. All being said, I very seldom find anything wrong with new vehicles. Quick story, we just purchase a new 2021 Lexus RX350 and upon the salesperson going over the vehicle with my wife I was in the back seat and heard a slight ticking noise coming from under the vehicle in the rear. I questioned the salesperson on this and him hearing the noise to we quickly went to the service department and the salesperson quickly called for the service specialty person who can out quickly from his office and checked the noise, he said he would be right back he wanted to check his records, he soon returned and said there was a TSB on that and it the fuel pump canister making that noise. The quickly showed up with a new demo for us to drive and said they would have it taken care of by the afternoon and they did. Now here is the kicker to the story, the salesperson asked my wife what kind of wine she liked and she told him ($40 a bottle) what she liked, when we pickup the vehicle the next morning she was given the wine she requested and he offered his apology for the inconvenience. So as you may or may not know going to an upscale dealer is not like going to a regular car dealer, there is none of the funny BS all very professionally handled, too bad all dealers aren't that way. It's Sewel Lexus in Ft. Worth.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, me too. I had ACC on prior vehicles; always turned it off.

It turns the driver into a mindless drone IMO.
I've never seen it or used it (ACC) in any vehicle, but I utterly cannot stand, absolutely LOATHE in fact, all these features wherein the vehicle is telling ME what to do. I AM the driver, dammit! The vehicle should be following MY commands, not the other way around!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts