Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our shop Jeep was hit last week. The guy backed hard into the passenger side hitting only the rear tire, lifting the Jeep and moving it sideways and about 3 feet forward. I have vibration through the drive train at 30 MPH, and the rear brakes are acting up.

We were replacing the transfer case anyway, and realigning the drive train. I'm looking for suggestions on what else we should be looking at for possible damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Jeep was t-boned about a month ago, driver speed was low enough to not deploy the airbags. It bent the axle housing, control arm and axle shaft, and after speaking with the shop doing the repairs, it's not that uncommon due to the leverage you can have from hitting a tire. I'd inspect all around the rear end on the tire that was hit, the axle housing, axle shaft, control arms.

·
Super Moderator
6,802 Posts
Axle shaft being bent is an obvious one. It also could have bent the axle housing, or the control arms that locate the axle. It could even have bent the frame. You can measure to make sure the control arm pivot points are square by measuring diagonally between front right and left rear as well as front left and right rear. It should be the same measurement.
The wheel bearing on the corner that was hit my be toast.
I am sure there are other things to check.
I have to ask, why aren't you having a professional independent shop sort this out and let the guy that hit you pay for it?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized this is in the JK forum, instead of the TJ forum (2000 TJ). There really isn't that many shops in this area. I'll be under the Jeep again tomorrow and check things out. The guy that hit the Jeep wants to pay for the rear axle, but I want to see what other damage there is first.

Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts