Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So, in the process of rebuilding my 2004 TJ, I found some used axles with 90k miles on them, for a very good price.

I've been wanting to get rid of my 3.07 gears, but couldn't bring myself to regear my D35 rear axle.

The axles I'm getting appear to be in good condition in the photos. D44 rear/D30 front combo geared at 3.73, which will be much better for my 31s and 3" lift!

But before I hand over the cash to this person, what should I look for on the axles, to make sure that they're in good condition? Are there any tell-tale signs of something being wrong that I can examine to make sure that they are good quality?

And finally, should I replace my current D30 front axle, or just swap the gears? I replaced my ball joints 2 years ago, and would like to keep those... but obviously I can't really swap out my ball joints, unless I buy new ones again.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Excessive play and severe corrosion are two stop signs. Best bet is to ask if they will drain/pull the covers so you can inspect the internals. If all checks out throwing on a set of bjs can be done prior to install and your set.

Ball joints are a lot easier than swapping the gears/less to go wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Used axles off CL with questionable 90k miles can easily be well used or well worn. Popping the axle covers off could tell you the story of proper maintenance or visible damages. IMO its generally buyer beware.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used axles off CL with questionable 90k miles can easily be well used or well worn. Popping the axle covers off could tell you the story of proper maintenance or visible damages. IMO its generally buyer beware.
True, but as long as the gears are good, and the outside is good, I'm not too worried. Plus, I'm not sure how many miles my Jeep has, the odo broke at 40k, but it's well over 100k miles - probably verging on 130k or so. So these CL axles are 1 year newer, with fewer miles on them. If they're in a good condition, it's a win-win for me.

For the price I'm getting them, I can afford to swap the inner-axle out to some new Chro-Mo shafts.

I'll post the price after I buy them, but it's VERY good.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My neck of the nabe is about $500 for the front and $800 for a drum rear and about $1,100 for a rear/disk.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My neck of the nabe is about $500 for the front and $800 for a drum rear and about $1,100 for a rear/disk.

A little less, for me. And I already have the TF brake kit on my D35, so I'll move that over to my 44, once I find the hardware that came with it... if I can. If not, I'll make a call to Tera and see if they can send me the pre-load spacer I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up the axles today. The rear axle is in very good condition, front is OK. Just stripped it completley so only the pinion gear is left, and cleaned the crap out of it.

Hit it with engine degreaser and a copper brush, then krud-kutter and a scrub brush, and finally a dousing with the power washer.

I'll probably hit it with a can or two of spray paint, since I have a few days before I plan on installing it.

I might start a new thread about the install.

I think it will be best, judging by the condition of the front axle to just swap the gears, I'll call up a buddy about 30 miles north of me, who's done regears a few times, and see if he can help me out.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and I got both axles for $600, an insane deal. The dude just needed them gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts