Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is posted anywhere, but it would be good to compile a list of must have tools for one to work on his / her JK. For small routine jobs as well as for big projects as well.

Being a new owner, I would like to start collecting them over time so when I have a big job to do (say install a lift) I am prepared and have everything already.

I have heard of a few things here and there, but I am sure a lot of long time jeepers have an opinion on what tools are good to have and who makes the best of what that should be in one's garage / toolbox.

Thanks in advance for all the awesome responses...

- Amalesh

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, this is a tough question to ask. There are a lot of tools that it's nice to have but aren't necessary for example. I think most fairly serious garage mechanics have 2 or more rollaways with lots of tools... many of which you will not need.

I would recommend starting with an inexpensive SAE and Metric socket set. And a set of screwdrivers. IMO you can't go wrong with Craftsman or Kobalt (I'm sure there are other readily available decent brands out there). Get a couple of machinist hammers and maybe a good rollaway toolbox (something to fill up ;-).

Then as you need to do more in depth work (suspension work and the like) buy the specialized tools you need.

You'll eventually have more tools than you know what to do with ;-)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Almost all bolts are torx 30, 40, or 50. For my 2014 JKU, I have a small pouch in the back under the trunk mat area where I keep a socket wrench with torx 30, 40, 50 sockets, along with a ratcheting screwdriver with the same torx tips. That should cover your doors, top, etc. I've also used 10mm (dash), 16mm (bumper), and I think 18 or 19mm sockets (hitch?)at some point as well. Might want to keep those in the bag as well. EDIT: Just checked the bag, there's a 7mm tip in there as well. Can't remember what that is for. lol.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Get a complete set of torx sockets. Torque wrench. A set of metric sockets, 10, 13, 16, and 18 are popular. You will need up to 22 to remove the calipers. Get the same sizes in box wrenches. Jack stands, floor jack and a cordless impact wrench will be very helpful if you do your own tire rotations. There's not much you can't do with that list. You can save a ton of cash by going to harbor freight and using the coupons in JP magazine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts