Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm a newbie. Actually don't even have a jeep yet. I'm going to be doing some hiking. It snows maybe once or twice a year where I live. Maybe pull a trailer for firewood, mulch, the occasional piece of furniture, etc. Help me out. Do I need a 4or 6 cyld, 2or 4wd, manual or automatic. Please give your opinions, model suggestions, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi guys I'm a newbie. Actually don't even have a jeep yet. I'm going to be doing some hiking. It snows maybe once or twice a year where I live. Maybe pull a trailer for firewood, mulch, the occasional piece of furniture, etc. Help me out. Do I need a 4or 6 cyld, 2or 4wd, manual or automatic. Please give your opinions, model suggestions, etc. Thanks.
What's your budget? How much does the trailer weigh? Are you just driving locally or are there highway miles involved? What size tires do you want to use? How old or new of a Jeep is acceptable?

Short wheelbase Jeeps have low tow ratings, around 2,000 lbs. 4 cylinders are okay when avoiding highways and larger tires. The axle and gearing may be a limiting factor if you want to run 33's and a locker. Manual vs. auto is a personal choice like any other vehicle.

More info will get better answers. Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If your on a budget then a 2.5 YJ with a stick makes a great first time jeep. Just get one that has Fuel injection. I would stay away from a 4 cal auto and they are really slow. You can get a 4.0 6 cylinder YJ pretty cheap and they work well. I would look for FI on these too. A TJ brings a bit more refined ride and some nice amenities. But the cost goes up. A JK is going to be basically a bigger TJ unless you go for a unlimited 4 door. For what your talking about a 4 popper YJ would work in it is a pretty light trailer. Anything after that is a step up in towing capacity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts