Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new rear drive shaft, I have a T-case drop and no SYE kit on. I'm not mudding anymore i just need a working vehicle.

Most rear driveshafts i find say "must have SYE", what exactly do i need to search up to get what i need?

thank you.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
if you don't have a big lift get a stock shaft......find a part out on craigslist or FB marketplace. you want the slip joint at the top end if the TC has the stock output.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you don't have a big lift get a stock shaft......find a part out on craigslist or FB marketplace. you want the slip joint at the top end if the TC has the stock output.
I have a 4in lift with 33inch tires, I have about a 1inch t-case drop. would that still be a stock drive shaft?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
that i cannot say for sure. the stock shaft may be on the short side and you would have to verify you had enough engagement on those splines with room for suspension travel. but even then that shaft will be pulling down on that TC output all the time and is not the best way.
at 4" you really should have the SYE and DC shaft.

maybe call Tom Wood's driveshaft and they can give you your best options.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yah looks stock to me and broke.i hate it for yah.
maybe you can find witnesses on the spline section that'll tell you how deep it's holding and if indeed you have adequate engagement.
but that joint may well be suffering from the acute angle it's holding, and ripped those ears up.

from the shine on the output it kinda looks like it rode deep enough. that stub should just pull out IIRC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With a 4" lift you should be running an SYE IMHO. The 1" drop is all that's really saving you. There's a ton of SYEs out there, and all do a pretty good job. You do have the stock speedo in there, so you don't want to get a shorty unless you've got another way to power the speedo. Advance Adapters has always been good to me (I've got one in my YJ). You've definitely got the stock output. Installing the SYE isn't too bad, but you'll need a 10 foot table to work on. Disassemble piece by piece using all 10 ft, and reassemble in reverse. My first shot I thought I could remember where everything went (don't we all ;), and alas spent too much time trying to figure out where the order the parts went back together.

As far as the driveshaft is concerned, Tom Woods is a good one, and Adams Driveshaft has given me some good advice in the past. You wouldn't go wrong with either, but you'll need the SYE first.

·
Registered
02 TJ Sport
1,593 Posts
You can drive it in 4HI while you wait for your parts to arrive. Just remove the rear shaft completely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts