Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 sahara 4.0 auto with a 4" lift and 35s. It does not seem to have much power at higher speeds. Any type of incline and it wants to down shift. Not positive on this but I think it came stock with 3.07 gears. Should I put lower gears in it ? If so what gears would be best for fuel mileage and help the trans and motor?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
wow...

not even gonna go into the 35's but to answer your gear question...4.88 gears

nothing helps mileage, its a jeep and you have 35 inch tires...if you're getting 12-15...be happy

rough estimate for you to get your axles regeared would be around 1500-2000

good luck

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
nothings wrong with the 35's...

just didnt wanna go into if you're running them correctly or if its just lifted to fit them under there. Strongly recommended to upgrade steering, brakes, axles, etc to run them right.

Kinda like goin with a 3" suspension lift vs a 4" suspension lift...3" doesnt require near what 4" does...

same with running a 33 vs a 35

thats all...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my first jeep so I don't know allot about this stuff. I bought the jeep from a friend and he said the lift is good ( expensive). It drives great no shakes at all. So think everything has been done right. I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really I'm just going play in the mud a little nothing to serious. Do you think it would be ok to just put the lowest gear that would fit in the d35? Not sure what that would be. Maybe 3.73.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will those fit in the d35 or should I down size to 33s and run the lowest gears that will fit in the d35? Sorry about all the questions. I'm just excited about the jeep and want everything to be right.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Everyone is very conservative it seems when "doing things right". My 01 TJ i ran 7" of lift, 38 boggers, and 3:73 gears for several years before i decided to go with 4:88s. If your not doin serious crawling and just playin in the mud you will be fine. Mine did however have the D44 rear and was a standard. A few engine mods helped quite a bit on power as well. Got several buddies here with me who run similar set-ups as you, D35-35's, and ratio your runnin and they do alright for the thrashing we do. If you want everything to be "ideal" then theres an endless list of upgrades you can go with of course. With the automatic and the higher gear ratio 33's would be more suiting for you on highway use but just boils down to what ya wanna do. I sold my 01 a year ago or so but just picked up an 06 TJ yesterday. Let the project begin :) Never had a yeller one before lol.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Really I'm just going play in the mud a little nothing to serious..

That is Serious ! MUD puts a large strain on running gears. The added weight of the 35's, added weight of Mud, D35 Diff, 307 Gears, is a Recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. The D35 is a WEAK LINK, even with just running 31's. They are prone to bending without much effort. To add Salt to the wound, your also running an Automatic. That in its self is not a Bad Thing. But with the Gears / 35's, there well be a large increase in strain placed on the Transmission, STRAIN = HEAT, HEAT = FAILURE of Clutch Packs & Torque Converters.

SUGGESTIONS :::
Do a lot of Reading / Research. Most of which can be done right here on W/F.
Increase your Financial Funds, you'll need it.
Visit a Local 4X4, or Off Road Shop that has a GOOD REPUTATION, that can take a first hand look at what exactly it is YOU do have. Have them provide you with written recommendations / upgrades / changes, that should be preformed, and as to why there making such recommendations. Then take that information, and Research it, read about it. Take that information, and from it, PLAN your upgrades in steps, (unless you have un-limited Funds).
Once you do that, you will have a much better understanding as to HOW & WHY, there is a right way for performing your up grades.
Example :::
The 35's and 4" lift that have ALREADY BEEN performed, should have been one of the last upgrades, AFTER upgrading the more weaker areas that WILL BE AFFECTED by said upgrades. Even as a Daily Driver, without any
Wheeling / Off Road use, there is a tremendous amount of Strain being placed on your Jeep as it is now equipped.

There's a tremendous amount of knowledge shared here on the Pages of W/F, with a tremendous amount available from the knowledgeable Members willing to share that knowledge.

And WELCOME to W/F, pull up a Chair, stick around, and Visit Often, :wavey:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx everyone for the info. I think I'll prolly just put a little more gear in it to help some and call it good. I don't think I need to spend the money for bigger axels for playing in the mud a little. If I break it I'll fix it. Thx again for your input.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CoyoteOn2 said:
That is Serious ! MUD puts a large strain on running gears. The added weight of the 35's, added weight of Mud, D35 Diff, 307 Gears, is a Recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. The D35 is a WEAK LINK, even with just running 31's. They are prone to bending without much effort. To add Salt to the wound, your also running an Automatic. That in its self is not a Bad Thing. But with the Gears / 35's, there well be a large increase in strain placed on the Transmission, STRAIN = HEAT, HEAT = FAILURE of Clutch Packs & Torque Converters.

SUGGESTIONS :::
Do a lot of Reading / Research. Most of which can be done right here on W/F.
Increase your Financial Funds, you'll need it.
Visit a Local 4X4, or Off Road Shop that has a GOOD REPUTATION, that can take a first hand look at what exactly it is YOU do have. Have them provide you with written recommendations / upgrades / changes, that should be preformed, and as to why there making such recommendations. Then take that information, and Research it, read about it. Take that information, and from it, PLAN your upgrades in steps, (unless you have un-limited Funds).
Once you do that, you will have a much better understanding as to HOW & WHY, there is a right way for performing your up grades.
Example :::
The 35's and 4" lift that have ALREADY BEEN performed, should have been one of the last upgrades, AFTER upgrading the more weaker areas that WILL BE AFFECTED by said upgrades. Even as a Daily Driver, without any
Wheeling / Off Road use, there is a tremendous amount of Strain being placed on your Jeep as it is now equipped.

There's a tremendous amount of knowledge shared here on the Pages of W/F, with a tremendous amount available from the knowledgeable Members willing to share that knowledge.

And WELCOME to W/F, pull up a Chair, stick around, and Visit Often, :wavey:
Sorry I didn't see your post before I made my post. I will take it to a good shop and let them have a look at what I have. I'm really not sure what axle or gears are in it. I was just guessing it is all stock. Also I might just think it's a little weak because I'm used to driving a 5.9l Cummings turbo. Thx again for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.