Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is only my 2nd post on here, so bear with me... (Also, my thoughts are scrambled with a headache and nausea right now.)

I've only had my JKUR for a little over a month and I was basically building it in my head and online for years before purchase with, I guess, no "real" knowledge of all that I was building? (Yet I do have knowledge, so maybe like, half-a**ed knowledge? I dunno, Lol). So far, I've only made one mod to the Jeep and it's a custom hood. (Which, now that I think about it, will that void my warranty? I don't even know!) But so far, I've bought a lift kit, wheels, tires, shocks, and dual steering stabilizer - to be installed whenever they all finally arrive.

Now I'm trying to figure out what winch I want because not having a winch kinda held me back at JeepFest in Jasper this year (most trails required a winch and of course I didn't have one on a stock Rubicon that I'd had less than a month). Reading about winches, I came across the fact that depending on the winch I could need to change my battery? I'm thinking either the Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum or the Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum, leaning more toward the 10-S Platinum... If I went with either of these, what should I do about my stock battery? Can I keep it or must I replace it? And if I replace, what battery setup to replace it with? Duel or single? AGM? I don't know. I will eventually be adding multiple light bars, a CB radio w/ antenna, a new head unit w/ new speakers and amp and subwoofer. So a loooot is to come.

Please help my frazzled mind! (I second-guess myself too much, dangit.) Just trying to build my dream Jeep here...

:atomic:

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
I would suggest the new Superwinch EXP series. Its a high quality winch that's able to multi task. You really don't need the 12k. A 10k series warn will do.

I have a zeon 10s, cb, upgraded HU, speakers, amp, switch pros ... rock lights, Rigid D-SS spot, SR10 Flood, Lux rock lights, and Rigid SR-Q flood (pair). JW Speaker heads, tail, fogs, PS backup, and side markers. I'm still using my 2014 oem battery with no issues.

BTW, what lift did u get? Your jeep doesn't need a dual stabilizer. Oem is just fine.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
A dual battery is for running equipment or appliances (like coolers and toaster ovens) while the engine is off (like camping). I kept the factory battery until it died after three years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! So just keep it the way it is and go with the 10s.

And I went with a MetalCloak 3.5" GameChanger. With Fox Reservoir Shocks since I just could not decide on shocks to save my life. Could. Not.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just got the 8k Superwinch EXP for my 2 door and love it. Although I haven't actually done a pull with it yet. I'm convinced synthetic line is the way to go.

The EXP I got calls for a minimum of 650 CCA, the factory battery only has 600. I'm planning on picking up the Odyssey Extreme and running it in place of the stock one.

Also get a ProLink or FlatLink from Factor 55. I went with the ProLink since it covers the synthetic line just a little better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp, I was told not to get anything but synthetic by this random guy in BassPro, who told me a grisly story about decapitation... That was fun... :nonono: But isn't synthetic better for a first-time wheeler like myself anyways? From what I've read, I think I'm to be considered a weekend wheeler, at least until I get more experience out on trails and such.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That is why I went with synthetic, I like having my head attached to my body and I'm a
winching newb. Plus its lighter than steel cable.
I agree mattyg - lighter/safer and if you take care of it, it will last for years. I just installed the Superwinch EXP, Maximus-3 winch plate this weekend. Easy install and well written directions. Here's a couple of pics that I took today.

See ya on the trail!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
JKURX needs the Maximus-3 winch plate, and any winch you like;
I have the Genesis dual battery setup and I love it.
It saved my ass the other day when someone left the overhead lights on over a long weekend and I found my normal battery too depleted to start the engine... hit the override switch for the second battery and it started right up, just as designed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Warn has a well earned reputation for reliability and customer support. I have a Zeon 10-S and would buy Warn again in a heartbeat. There's a reason you still see people rolling around with 30 year old Warn winches.

As others have said, you should definitely get synthetic rope. It's so much safer than steel it's hard to find a reason not to go with it. An exception might be if you routinely get the rope very wet in near-freezing to freezing temps. It's possible if you have wet synthetic rope that drops below freezing that the whole line becomes iced. That's not really an issue with steel.

I'd also dump the OEM liquid lead-acid battery and get an AGM battery (Odyssey, Optima). Especially in hot environments and lots of vibration, traditional car batteries tend not to hold up well. There are always people that have used traditional batteries and not had an issue, but I wouldn't do it. The OEM battery in my jeep failed after five months. I wheeled it often and sometimes in temps over 100 degrees. Immediately replaced it with an AGM and never had a failure like that again. Plus, if you're going to be winching, the AGM batteries have more capacity as well.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Do you need a synthetic rope? No, but it's a cool thing to have.

Do you need a dual battery? Absolutely not, but still cool to have. People have been winching for decades with a single battery. I pulled a 20k forklift stuck in a field with enough force to bend a PSC bumper and my single OEM battery was never an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts