Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just became a proud 2008 Sahara owner. Been wanting a man jeep since before kids. Now they are out the house and I have my toy. Wanting to widen my tires and wheels without adding a left. Looking at going with the Method wheel called Fat Five in either the 18 x 9 rim with -12 mm or the 17 x 8.5 with 0 mm wheel. On the 18 it looks like I can run 275/65 18 and on the 17 a 295/65 17. Trying to keep a AT tire not to aggressive. Help me decide please. Don't want any rubbing as well.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
275/65 18 is what I've got on my 08JK Sahara....Kelly 10 ply Safari TSR work great for me, Stock 18" OEM alloys, no spacers, no lift, no rub. 40.000 wear looks like they'll go easily another 50k???

I adjusted the L/R turn bump stop about 1/4 turn to keep the very tips at full lock from touching.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
The fact that it's a Sahara means nothing. Tires for 18" wheels will cost more than tires for 17 or 16.

·
Registered
99 Posts
im running 285/70/17 GY duratracs and absolutely love them. They have an aggressive look but are not that loud but do produce a good amount of noise at highway speeds. I have a 09 jku stock and these work perfectly little rubbing at full turn but my lift is going on tomorrow :). The 18 with 285 seems to me that there is not enough tire which jeeps should have but if you like the bigger rim go with the bigger rim. Really depends on what you are going to be doing with your jeep

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am really taking all this in. Never bought wheels to go on anything. So have a lot of questions to feel comfortable spending my money. For instance the - offset in a wheel, is that a concern versus one with 0 offset?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Jk is a non lifted stock '09 Sahara
Got my Duratracs and Ultra wheels today...look amazing...I'll post pics later this week
size is 265/70 R17

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Am really taking all this in. Never bought wheels to go on anything. So have a lot of questions to feel comfortable spending my money. For instance the - offset in a wheel, is that a concern versus one with 0 offset?
It all depends on the width of the tire.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I was curious what the "more expensive tire" might be cost wise.....

Discount Tires tell me on Cooper (for example) 275-65R17 vs 275-65R18 for the same tread style was "$9.00" more for 18".

How much about "5%" difference in price might make in tires running $600-1000 doesn't seem like too big a deal. Perhaps more careful comparison shopping could find even smaller cost difference.

DTS didn't have the Kelly TSR with which I'm familiar.

Since we all seem affected to some degree by what we think we like the looks of, I'm satisfied with my OEM 18" even if I gotta pay extra. That I don't need a lift or spacers let alone new wheels (few of which I would care to buy) saves enough to more than cover that cost.

I had more or less just expected such a large price difference I could somehow afford to basically toss the 18s out and head for 15-16-17s. Not really interested in the looks, let alone the "5%" price break.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I bought a 2010 used in September, someone had replaced the 16" steel wheels with 18" Sahara wheels before I bought it. It was getting close to needing new tires and the 18" tires I was pricing locally were going to run $20-$30 more per tire than comparable 17" tires. About $100-$150 more for a set of 5. And there were far fewer 18" options. If only $9/tire, and if they have what you want, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was planning on buying in January, but ran across a set of new takeoff 17" wheels and tires for about 1/2 what a set of 18" tires was going to cost. Used Wrangler wheels and tires are all over the place dirt cheap. In the long run it might be better off to look for a set of 17" wheels. Worth a look anyway.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Locally there's always various Jeep wheels advertised......except I've never seen 18" near here. In bigger towns 40-50 miles away there's usually all sizes advertised various degree of used-treads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts