Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's where I am stuck... If you only had about $30K and needed/wanted to have factory installed 3.73 gears, power everything plus 430 UConnect and navigation BUT didn't want a model less than a year or two old, under 20K miles… how would you go about doing that? First thought Sahara, right? But the majority of the used Sahara’s (my first choice) I’m seeing don’t have the higher gears factory installed or the tow package, Sports don’t even offer navigation and Rubicon’s are outta my price range plus I don't really need all the extra Rubi stuff, this Jeep will mainly be grocery getter and dirt/gravel road, plus some towing, and some bigger tires. Can I put in a 430N in a Sport after market? I’m driving myself crazy trying to find the “perfect” Jeep for me!

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Fourteen months ago now, after looking far and wide for two months, I bought a FULLY LOADED Sahara Unlimited with 8,500 miles for $34,000. That price was $2,000 below the going price for similar JKs.

Looking at Carmax today, a similar Sahara is listed for $37,000-$38,000, which means you may be able to find a private sale in the mid-$30,000s.

Under $30,000 is going to be near impossible today, unless:

- You are willing to give up two doors
- You are willing to give up navigation, hardtop and leather
- You are willing to give up low miles
- You are willing to give up a clean Carfax

And don't let the search drive you crazy. Looking for a new vehicle should be exciting and fun.

Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Stop looking at dealers and live on Craigslist within a 300 mile radius. Someone will sell a JK for a decent price eventually. Or up your budget - because if what you want and what you're willing to spent don't meet, then either lower standards or up the budget. I always say the best you can.

As for Nav, just replace the factory unit with a CarPlay assuming you have an iPhone.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I would adjust my wants to fit my needs..

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fourteen months ago now, after looking far and wide for two months, I bought a FULLY LOADED Sahara Unlimited with 8,500 miles for $34,000. That price was $2,000 below the going price for similar JKs.
That was a great deal!
I'm not willing to give up any of those thing! LOL

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stop looking at dealers and live on Craigslist within a 300 mile radius. Someone will sell a JK for a decent price eventually. Or up your budget - because if what you want and what you're willing to spent don't meet, then either lower standards or up the budget. I always say the best you can.

As for Nav, just replace the factory unit with a CarPlay assuming you have an iPhone.
Cool info about Craigslist - i didnt realize you could do a large area search. Might be a way to go. I did check out a youtube video where a guy installed an amazing Raxiom after market radio with Nav and back up camera.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't make the navigation a deal breaker, you might be able to find what you are looking for, for lower than your max and go buy a better head unit than the 430 with the difference.

·
For The Horde!
77 Posts
You can save a buck by getting non-factory installed, gears, radio, and definitely tow package.
You also might consider getting a direct factory order rather then one off the dealer lot to solve your "can't find any 3.73 geared" problem.

Last option would be to just save more money. jeeps aren't for people on tight budgets. AKA "gas mileage is not good" and you will want to spoil it with new parts. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here's where I am stuck... If you only had about $30K and needed/wanted to have factory installed 3.73 gears, power everything plus 430 UConnect and navigation BUT didn't want a model less than a year or two old, under 20K miles… how would you go about doing that? First thought Sahara, right? But the majority of the used Sahara’s (my first choice) I’m seeing don’t have the higher gears factory installed or the tow package, Sports don’t even offer navigation and Rubicon’s are outta my price range plus I don't really need all the extra Rubi stuff, this Jeep will mainly be grocery getter and dirt/gravel road, plus some towing, and some bigger tires. Can I put in a 430N in a Sport after market? I’m driving myself crazy trying to find the “perfect” Jeep for me!
Get less options.
Get more money.
Get something other than a jeep.

In that order.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here's where I am stuck... If you only had about $30K and needed/wanted to have factory installed 3.73 gears, power everything plus 430 UConnect and navigation BUT didn't want a model less than a year or two old, under 20K miles… how would you go about doing that?...
You are more than welcome to buy my 2013 Sahara for 29,999 US Dollars and I can buy a new 2016. It has power everything, 3.73, nav, sensible mods, new winter tires and wheels included.

Just let me know when you want to pick it up or arrange shipment. :happyyes:

If paying in cash, please note that I do not accept Euros.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You looking for a 2 or 4 door? I just purchased a 2013 Rubicon 2 door with Nav, power windows, door locks, heated seats & mirrors, both hard and soft tops, but no leather with 21,000 miles. Drove off the lot for just under $30k including tax, tags, etc...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I second Craigslist. That's how I've always bought vehicles. If you know anyone that knows about jeeps or about cars in general, bring em along to look. Search often, couple times a day. If you look today, there will likely be all overpriced jeeps. But eventually a reasonable person will post a good deal and you can snag it.

Although the general rule about buying used is you can't be picky. Picky people have to buy new.

You can buy an aftermarket head unit even with navigation, Bluetooth, etc for much less and will be better than anything offered OEM. If you want a tow receiver, you can buy them online or even Craigslist cheap. Often times people with factory tow recievers will have to remove it when installing an aftermarket bumper. I've seen em on Craigslist for $20 lightly used.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
If I had only 30,000. I would buy the JKU with the max tow package. comes with 3.73 gears. power locks and windows. Take the money you save and buy a Garmin GPS or aftermarket nav radio.
My wife just bought a Toyota Highlander and I hate the nav system. Don't know if jeep is the same but if I need to change the trip or look for a place to eat, I have to pull over and stop.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd buy a Sport with max tow package (includes 3.73 gears) and handle nav aftermarket. Or buy w/ 3.21 gears and wait for someone to sell lightly used 3.73 gears and buy nav aftermarket. Almost everything can be upgraded on the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks y'all!
I'll keep an eye on Craigslist. I'm in no hurry. If nothing shows up, I'm leaning towards just ordering at the end of season with max tow and adding other stuff after market. No way am I dealing with changing gears after market; dont want to deal with any warranty issues and dont know anyone I trust enough to know what they're doing!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"I would adjust my wants to fit my needs.. "....and my wallet as well....

re: "I'm leaning towards just ordering at the end of season "

understand....just what IS 'end of Jeep season'???

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
If I had only 30,000. I would buy the JKU with the max tow package. comes with 3.73 gears. power locks and windows. Take the money you save and buy a Garmin GPS or aftermarket nav radio.
My wife just bought a Toyota Highlander and I hate the nav system. Don't know if jeep is the same but if I need to change the trip or look for a place to eat, I have to pull over and stop.
I did this, bought new in '14, doable with manual trans, lsd, airbags. Like everyone said you can get a better head unit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts