Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As you can see, I got high centered while trying to drive over this pipe. Is there a different driving technique I could have used to avoid getting as stuck or is this a case of "throw more parts at the Jeep"?

I'm hoping to keep the Jeep DD-able, so I'm hoping to avoid more mods.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you have a lift on it, or is it just high centered? Looks like factory rims which leads me to believe it could be mostly factory. Only way you are going to increase ground clearance is a lift and tires. Maybe some sort of slider skid plate might help you.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
if in first you don't succeed then shift to 2nd and gas it!

ya don't do that. more height, tires and or lift. hoping your underside is already guarded but if not u will wanna do that to.

·
Registered
862 Posts
First of all, approach obstacles like that at an angle (if you have the room) to keep both front tires from being in a rut. You can do a belly up/high clearance belly pan also.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Teraflex 2" Leveling kit might have done the trick. It's only $150 and doesn't really mess with the geometry much. All it is is 2" spacers on the coils in the front and 1" in the back and comes with longer sway bar links.

Maybe just disconnection your front sway bar would have done it too; if you had enough travel left in your shocks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
a set of 35's would get you up enough to clear that

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I agree with Trailsnail in that no matter how much lift you may have, approach angle is key for wheeling any obstacle. I would have come at the obstacle at a slight angle to help prevent possibly being high-centered. Of course in some situations some lift is going to help, no matter what.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Keep in mind if you get bigger tires you will then try bigger obstacle and get stuck again...then get bigger tires and try bigger obstacles and once again get stuck...then bigger lift and bigger tires and again bigger obstacles and stuck again. Where does it end?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keep in mind if you get bigger tires you will then try bigger obstacle and get stuck again...then get bigger tires and try bigger obstacles and once again get stuck...then bigger lift and bigger tires and again bigger obstacles and stuck again. Where does it end?
It ends? :happyyes:

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
It's funny how people suggest a lift. It just shows that some people shouldn't give opinions.Yet, that's what you get on the old internet. There is only one thing that will raise the lowest part of your Jeep higher, and that is tires.A lift will allow the use of larger tires and larger tires will lift the center section of the axles higher.That being said, bigger tires and going at an angle would have made the obstacle. Maybe just going at an angle would have made it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It isnt stuck on the axles though. A lift does raise the body of the jeep, which in this case is the part he is hung up on. Seeing as it is already lifted though, tires would be his best option, and can be dine easily with the extra room he already has

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
He is not hung up on the body, he is hung up on the frame. I was wrong, A lift would raise the frame up but tires will raise the axles. Sorry if I upset any body with my last post !

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Take the obstacle at an angle. If you do that, one front tire will be still on the center obstacle while the opposite side rear tire starts up. That will keep the frame up enough to keep from getting high centered. You'll clear the obstacle with no trouble and you won't have to modify the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
He is not hung up on the body, he is hung up on the frame. I was wrong, A lift would raise the frame up but tires will raise the axles. Sorry if I upset any body with my last post !
No worries. We just followed your advice about not trusting advice on the 'ol Internet. :D

I might agree with your suggestion about tackling at an angle but those pipe sections don't look very wide. In lieu of installing larger tires and a lift on the spot, I think approaching from the opposite direction would have helped clear the larger pipe with the same break over angle but maybe that wasn't the objective of the challenge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts