Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And why? After my accident I'm having a hard time making up my mind.. If I drop 20+k on a JK I def will not be able to modify it...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
why would you go so far back to a yj? anything against a TJ? I would rather have a stock Jeep to start with then build it how you want it, so you know everything is done right. Sure its more expensive that way but its also more fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why would you go so far back to a yj? anything against a TJ? I would rather have a stock Jeep to start with then build it how you want it, so you know everything is done right. Sure its more expensive that way but its also more fun.
A nice tj rubi is right around ,14 to 16 so why not just jump to the jk?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What was so bad about it?
For my preference it was too new, I don't like new cars. It was automatic. I would press the accelerator and it would go nowhere. I didn't like the ride either, too bouncy. Felt like I was driving a convertible minivan.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
They feel more like a car than a jeep. Especially the JKU's. Like an extreme minivan to me.

I guess they just don't rattle enough to seem like real Jeeps. :rofl:

·
Registered
123 Posts
They feel more like a car than a jeep. Especially the JKU's. Like an extreme minivan to me.

Seems to be the case for the anti-JK crowd....

Anyways, if this isn't a daily driver (which i think it is) then go YJ or TJ and modify. If you are driving it every day go with the JK and modify as you can.

I had a YJ that was pretty well modified and if i had to choose between that or my 2012 JKU for a DD.......it's not even a comparison, JKU in heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

If I don't have a dash squeak I assume something's wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has a JK and its a nice flashy ride but I don't trust it. Jeep went back to the drawing board to fix something that's wasn't broke. I've had a cj7, a yj and now a TJ and they were all DDs and crawlers and they the most reliable and easy to work on rigs I've ever had, and I've had a lot of 4x4s (ford, Chevy, Toyota, dodge)... Go with the YJ. JKs are still really nice but you'll be happy with an old leafy YJ that's been loved

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
TJ says the old man with a YJ!!! Each model brings its own drawbacks and yes the older ones bring some challenges. However the TJ is coil springs and a smoother ride, just old enough not to be too expensive to buy and you can modify it forever.

As long as its a JEEP your in there.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Seems to be the case for the anti-JK crowd....

Anyways, if this isn't a daily driver (which i think it is) then go YJ or TJ and modify. If you are driving it every day go with the JK and modify as you can.

I had a YJ that was pretty well modified and if i had to choose between that or my 2012 JKU for a DD.......it's not even a comparison, JKU in heartbeat.
I'm not anti-JK by any means. They just aren't my favorite. I don't like the rounded looks, like the grille and hood. The interior is too luxurious for me, too. If I was getting a straight DD, I'd really consider a 2 door. But if I'm using it as a trail vehicle too, I want simple, with few electronics. It's very easy to get a JK electrical system wet.

So in my opinion, DD=JK, DD+trail=TJ or YJ.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm not anti-JK by any means. They just aren't my favorite. I don't like the rounded looks, like the grille and hood. The interior is too luxurious for me, too. If I was getting a straight DD, I'd really consider a 2 door. But if I'm using it as a trail vehicle too, I want simple, with few electronics. It's very easy to get a JK electrical system wet.

So in my opinion, DD=JK, DD+trail=TJ or YJ.
I agree. I miss my 91 amd gave it up until jeep could put out "4drs".... ( funny how i wished they would and did)... I stalked every dealer within a 150 mile radius and kept getting, "nope... Not delivered yet".. "Check tomorrow"... This was when they were first being produced.... The short of it is, the 2013 i drove last wk for a loner wS wayyyyyy to fancy and spaced out for me, So I totally know what you are saying, Bur the 07's when they first came out are nothing like they are now.. Very much girly.... But i need 4drs, as in my teens, the 2 dr no longer was jiving for me as i got older

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Stock YJ, modified the way I see fit.
That'd be perfect. I'd love to find another stock YJ in great shape, but its hard in Michigan. All the YJs have some rust around here.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.