Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me just say I am dealing with a very shady new car dealer, I was out looking for a new ride and know what I am looking for, first sign dealer is shady they try to sell me a 2016 with about 3500 miles on it, given me the line the that it is still new because it has never been registered. Well anyways after some back and forth they agreed to find me this new ride if I give them a $500 deposit, let’s just say the price they gave me was about $4000 cheaper than anywhere in my state for the same vehicle. Now it’s going on about 4 weeks since I gave them the deposit. Just wondering what my options are at this point. I do not want to let them off the hook easy. And the only reason I want there is because they were a member of the Costco car buying program.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
So you basically gave the dealer $500 to locate a vehicle? This wasn't a new vehicle order?

Your deposit should be fully refundable. Walk into the dealership, ask to speak with the sales manager and demand your deposit back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
they should located your vehicle for free. if not, that would be my first red flag. Now, if they wanted the deposit to get your found vehicle to the dealership, that might fly. I agree with @jkudave, walk in there go straight to the manager and demand your deposit back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct it was not for a new build, but the way I see it is the dealer and I have entered into a contract. IE: I have a paper from the dealer stating that they are going to find and sell me said vehicle with xy and z, which is why would rather save $4000 than get my $500 back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i guess it depends on you in regards to what a reasonable amount of time should be to find your vehicle. What are you asking them to find? If its a special edition or something to that nature maybe it is reasonable to wait a month. but with technology today i find it a little long...

Reactions: sdbsr

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I would guess you didn't hand any $ over without signing anything?

I am guessing the issue is, Can they find a new vehicle with the options you want and a dealership that would be willing to trade it or give it up for the price you got since I'm guessing you can no longer order JKs at this point?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
..., first sign dealer is shady they try to sell me a 2016 with about 3500 miles on it, given me the line the that it is still new because it has never been registered.
3500 miles is a lot of test drives. :D

Though, if it is still "new", then its new vehicle warranty hasn't started yet. You'll get 36 months from purchase, or 39,500 is on the odometer.

A 2016 still on their lot? I wonder why no one wants it? Is it a Dragon? :D

Reactions: Phynal

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
You are correct it was not for a new build, but the way I see it is the dealer and I have entered into a contract. IE: I have a paper from the dealer stating that they are going to find and sell me said vehicle with xy and z, which is why would rather save $4000 than get my $500 back.
Then what are you complaining about? Reach out to your salesperson and get him/her to give you an update on locating the vehicle. If one cannot be found that meets your specifications, then get your deposit back and walk away.

Reactions: WaltA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow it is hard for me to believe that nobody has a backbone anymore just get the $500 back and walk, wasn't expecting that. I am the kind of person that if I agree to do something, well I do it. They made an agreement they should have to stick to it. Its not about the money it is more about the principle don't offer something you cant deliver.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you still want the vehicle that they are supposed to be locating then I would go to the dealership and request a sit down with the salesperson and the manager. Advise them that you have already waited 4 weeks and nothing. I would tell them that they have 2 weeks to locate and get the vehicle to the lot or you want your deposit back and will walk away. And stick to your guns on it, with a deadline that might get them moving or they will admit that they can't do it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow it is hard for me to believe that nobody has a backbone anymore just get the $500 back and walk, wasn't expecting that. I am the kind of person that if I agree to do something, well I do it. They made an agreement they should have to stick to it. Its not about the money it is more about the principle don't offer something you cant deliver.
It's not a backbone issue as much as it is a time is money issue and apparently you have a lot of both. I will never understand why people are always trying to teach someone a life lesson and in the process stressing themselves out and giving their peace away. So the real question is why are you really making such a big issue out of this when you could have already been driving said wrangler? :Thanx:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I would give the dealer notice that they have 1 more week to find the vehicle and then I will demand my deposit back or my lawyer will be demanding it back. Year ago, I was buying a car and I told the salesman what I needed my interest rate to be and what I was willing to spend per month. He said that he could easily work with me on that and when I went to sign the paperwork, it was nothing close to the deal that I wanted to I just told him, no thanks and walked out of the dealership.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well first I am already driven a new JKUR, this is for my wife, lol. She gets nothing but the best and so we a talking a recon with all the bells and whistles. That $4000 will go a long way on upgrading my Rubicon.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I don't understand the backbone comment.
IMO, the person with the backbone goes in there to find out what's going on and if its not to their satisfaction they demand their money back and walk away.

You haven't stated what you are looking for. It's entirely possible that your exact configuration just can't be found at the moment.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I can pretty much imagine this interaction:

Rootman: "I want a 201x JKU with a,b,c and d"
Salesperson: "Ok that sounds great, I know I can find one like that"
Rootman: "I will only pay $xxxxx"
Salesperson: "I will need a $500 deposit to bring it to this dealership for you to look at it"
Rootman: "Here is the money"

There is no contract in that interaction at all. Dealers make money, otherwise they close down. Simple. Nothing happens in a dealership without a signature, nothing is final without a signature of a sales manager. They probably didn't even cash your check... Jeeps sell either to you or to someone else. The market is strong enough that most dealer don't need to make insane deals... If you don't like the dealer anymore go get your check and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I can pretty much imagine this interaction:

Rootman: "I want a 201x JKU with a,b,c and d"
Salesperson: "Ok that sounds great, I know I can find one like that"
Rootman: "I will only pay $xxxxx"
Salesperson: "I will need a $500 deposit to bring it to this dealership for you to look at it"
Rootman: "Here is the money"

There is no contract in that interaction at all. Dealers make money, otherwise they close down. Simple. Nothing happens in a dealership without a signature, nothing is final without a signature of a sales manager. They probably didn't even cash your check... Jeeps sell either to you or to someone else. The market is strong enough that most dealer don't need to make insane deals... If you don't like the dealer anymore go get your check and go somewhere else.

OP does claim he has a signed document...

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's possible that the dealership simply can't find the vehicle equipped the way you want, or they found it and the other dealership won't give it up.

They can't just magically make one appear exactly the way you want it.

That being said, communication is the key. Have you called them to find out the status on the locate? Have they called you with an update?

I know at the Lexus store that I manage, the sales team is required to contact our clients at every stage of an order / locate. I'm shocked that a resolution to this has taken 4 weeks. That's unacceptable.

As for the "new" 2016 with 3,500 miles - it sounds like a dealer demo. Not uncommon at all. It would still be considered new in the eyes of DMV and the dealer has probably "written it down" (internally lowered the cost with dealer funds) to compensate. These are usually GREAT deals if the vehicle is what you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what happens when you chase the bottom of the barrel. Dealer did not sign a contract to sell you a car. The lowest price is usually the worst solution. This is the end of the model year. You cannot even order a Wrangler right now. Take the best of the litter off the lot, and do it quickly. Don't chase the bottom price. Get a good seller and a good Jeep and be happy.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts