Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello to all the wrangler forum members.

I am in need of your opinions. I am about to purchase a 2011 or 12 4door JK and need some help on making the right choice.

Basically, I have $35,000 cash as I have just sold my chevelle and my daily driver and am looking to join the jeep world. I am looking at either getting a stock rubicon as it would take all my money and then start saving and adding things as I can afford to. Or buy a sport edition that already has a lift, 35's and smittybuilt front and rear bumpers with a ramsey 8,000lb winch.

I know it would take a long time for me to save money since taxes are right around the corner, so if I bought a stock rubicon it would be stock for a while. I live in Colorado and would love to have something that is pretty trail capable right from the beginning. This is really where I need your opinions.

How much more capable are the rubicons over a sport model with a 2.5" inch procomp lift and 35's with bumpers and winch? I know the rubicons come with front and rear locking diffs and sway bar disconnects so that alone is making me want a rubicon and wait to add to it as I can, along with the rock rails, dana front, and rock-trac transfer case.

Sorry for the long winded first post, but any input helping me make the right decision would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2010 jku sport and I purchased it with 3" lift, 35" tires and real nice wheels witb it. I have been out wheeling in it and it is awesome. Everyday I wish I had a 12 jkur, but I still love my jeep.

If I did it again I would get a 12jkur and add on to it later down the road.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Now I just saw the pics. The sport is really nice, but I would still take a stock rubi over it and add on your own personality later.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Three things:

A.) 285 HP
B.) What do you think you're gonna get into that a stock Rubicon can't handle?
C.) What do you think will be the primary selling point when you go to offload your rig down the road? (Trust me, it won't be, "It's the model before they solved the motor problem".)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Since you are asking, I would get the Rubicon. All of the Wranglers are very capable but it is amazing how much more you can do with the front and rear lockers. There are a lot of trails in Colorado that you will need lockers. Sure with a winch you can eventually get there but it sure is nice to just flip a switch and be locked up and another and be disconnected from the torsion bar and not hold up the rest of the group while you pull winch cable. I have run a lot of trails in Colorado and am very happy with the Rubicon. You will want to make modifications anyway and this way you will have less to do.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought a 2012 Rubicon after taking them out for a test drive. The 2011 paled in comparison to the 2012 in power. I think you would be hard pressed to find many places where the stock Rubicon wouldn't be able to go. With 32 inch tires, locking diff, 4.1 gearing, etc. the RUbicon is ready to go. Granted you will eventually want a winch (and a bumper to hold it) and more, but the Rubicon will meet you needs. Just my $ 0.02.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Think axles .... Rubicon has Dana 44 front and rear... Sports have a Dana 30 same with Sahara.... That's what I regret about buying a Sahara

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Rubicon. Factory stuff tends to hold some value, aftermarket stuff you never get much of the $ back for what you add on.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
are you heart set on a newer jk? with 35k id get an 06 LJ Rubicon with low miles for like 18k or so and dump 20g's in it...hey, you did ask our opinion hahaha or look for an 07 or 08 jk if you want a jk and get it cheaper and have plenty of money to put into it or just save that extra money for gas and just drive and enjoy the jeep :D and why the rush to buy something that is so capable right out of the gate? thats half the fun in owning a jeep..wheeling the snot outta if stock and givin it a couple dings and scratches, get it stuck a few times and get pulled out..then you lift it...then you get stuck again...then put bigger tires..get stuck again so you get lockers..etc etc, its a long and fun process :D :D

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Three things:

A.) 285 HP
B.) What do you think you're gonna get into that a stock Rubicon can't handle?
C.) What do you think will be the primary selling point when you go to sell your rig down the road? (Trust me, it won't be, "It's the model before they solved the motor problem".)
Rubicon. Factory stuff tends to hold some value, aftermarket stuff you never get much of the $ back for what you add on.
^^^These.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be very wary of buying a modded Jeep. No telling how the PO treated it, wheeled it, etc. Cosmetics can cover up a lot.

My 2 cents.

And welcome to WF, by the way. :)

Reactions: Redhook

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input from everybody. I appreciated as yall all seem to think the rubicon side of the fence I was leaning towards is the better side.

Just the thought of having danas and lockers front and back was making a huge impact on my decision as I had a 2002 toyota 4runner lifted with 35's before and my buddy with the same truck with 33's and lockers front and rear was pulling me out of all the stuff he could get thru when I get stuck.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are you heart set on a newer jk? with 35k id get an 06 LJ Rubicon with low miles for like 18k or so and dump 20g's in it...hey, you did ask our opinion hahaha or look for an 07 or 08 jk if you want a jk and get it cheaper and have plenty of money to put into it or just save that extra money for gas and just drive and enjoy the jeep :D and why the rush to buy something that is so capable right out of the gate? thats half the fun in owning a jeep..wheeling the snot outta if stock and givin it a couple dings and scratches, get it stuck a few times and get pulled out..then you lift it...then you get stuck again...then put bigger tires..get stuck again so you get lockers..etc etc, its a long and fun process :D :D
I agree 100%. That's what was fun about the 4runner i had was building it up piece by piece. I just moved to CO and wanted something I could hit the trails with immediately and feel pretty confident I could handle a lot of stuff out there.

As to buying something new, I primarily want it new for the warranty. bought my last car used and dumped a ton into it as it was just out of warranty.

^^^These.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be very wary of buying a modded Jeep. No telling how the PO treated it, wheeled it, etc. Cosmetics can cover up a lot.

My 2 cents.

And welcome to WF, by the way. :)
You're right. I swear everything I've ever bought used has immediately had thing after thing go wrong with it. Good point.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for all the input from everybody. I appreciated as yall all seem to think the rubicon side of the fence I was leaning towards is the better side.

Just the thought of having danas and lockers front and back was making a huge impact on my decision as I had a 2002 toyota 4runner lifted with 35's before and my buddy with the same truck with 33's and lockers front and rear was pulling me out of all the stuff he could get thru when I get stuck.
Lastly, breaking in a brand spanking new Rubicon will bond you to it forever.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dude get the rubi. The 2.5 lift and tires will need to be replaced on any jeep later. Get the rubi now and upgrade later. Plus with the two add ons the sport has isn't a bank braker you can ad that to the rubi for a grand or less if you look in the right places. I found creiglist and these forums are great for finding stuff like " new " for a fraction of the cost. Get the RUBI !!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts