Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 inch rough country lift ordered, I would like to run 32x11.50 tires, would you do a 1 inch shackle or 1 inch body lift?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Body

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Shackle, as I would not want to mess with the fun of removing the body bolts on a 16 year old jeep. You may need to run a t-case drop with the addition of the shackles.

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
I did shackles and yea we had to cut off a bolt but it's looked fairly easy if u have the muscle. The leafs were a pain but I run 31 with no issue

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would assume that after 16 years those bushings need to be taken care of anyhow unless it's already been done, but then it'd not be that big of an issue with those bolts if it was that recent. Just a thought. Inspect those bushings first.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I add the shackle lift on top of the 2.5 spring lift, would I need to do an sye? If that is the case, I would rather do the body.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wold probably do both. Depends on what your plans in the future are tho. You could do a .750 shackle lift and a 1-2" body lift. Example: If you are ever interested in a belly pan skid you will need the 2" body lift anyways down the road- Plus those body bushings (as 60mg stated) will need work, and if your gonna do 'em anyways, do the lift while you are there. There is no more work involved in a 2" body lift over a 1" and the price should be the same for parts- So why not?

Stay away from any shackles over an inch over stock. They do give you more lift but stress your springs incredibly, and you will feel it on the road. Plus at a certain point the spring shackles become a "low spot" on your jeep snagging logs and rocks causing all kinds of problems. Just my .02...

So I guess it is a matter if you are (or do) wheel your jeep and plan to go bigger and better as time goes on. Lots of people hate on the body lift, but I think big shackles hanging down look worse than a body lift that in some cases are a necessity.

·
Registered
189 Posts
X2 with HANNA..I did the 1"BL....1x rear quarter was rusted out!..bit of a pain to do because once u brake one its too late to change ur mind!! lol u have to fix it...i cut it out with a sawzall and replaced with a new bolt..but they are still a cheap good upgrade for tire clearance/flex issues...id stick with 1-2" only...i have 1/4" boomers too, an easy swap and u get a small amount of lift without the BEAVERS TEETH look!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
(before my 4" lift) i had OLD MAN EMU HD 2.5" lift and 1"BODY LIFT,.was good on 33" tires..same price as the 32"'s!!...GO 33" GAFARMER...u gain another half inch"ride/axle height in clearance from that alone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How well will the 4 squirrels handle 33's? I don't wheel hard, and I intend for this to be the extent of the suspension upgrades, maybe. I don't want to get into sye and driveshaft angles right now, that is why I don't want to do a springover. As a matter of fact, I will probably wait on the body lift for when I can buy new tires anyway. I will be riding on the 30x9.50's for a while.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
gafarmer said:
How well will the 4 squirrels handle 33's? I don't wheel hard, and I intend for this to be the extent of the suspension upgrades, maybe. I don't want to get into sye and driveshaft angles right now, that is why I don't want to do a springover. As a matter of fact, I will probably wait on the body lift for when I can buy new tires anyway. I will be riding on the 30x9.50's for a while.
Mine does dandy. Cruises at 70 mph.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts