Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a cherokee but I'm looking into getting wrangler. Can't decide between which year and if I want a Sahara, rubicon or just a regular wrangler. Which do you guys prefer? Want about a 3-4 inch lift with 35s too. Thanks :)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Welcome to WF!

They are all Wranglers.... Get which ever one best suits your needs and pocketbook. All of them are great vehicles.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Have a cherokee but I'm looking into getting wrangler. Can't decide between which year and if I want a Sahara, rubicon or just a regular wrangler. Which do you guys prefer? Want about a 3-4 inch lift with 35s too. Thanks :)
I'd say get a 2012 or newer. They have the more powerful engine.

The rubicon is a good choice if you think you'll be in situations where you'll need lockers.

The Sahara is for those that like creature comforts and the appearance of painted fenders, etc.

The sport is a do-it-yourself model. Meaning you can start with bare bones and then add in various options or do your own aftermarket options.

All the JKs come with Brake Lock Differential system which will get through a lot.

Additionally I'd recommend you get one with AT LEAST 3.73 gears or numerically higher since you want to run 35s. Gearing can be changed later too.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Get whichever you like best. Make sure to get a 3.73 ratio on the Sport or Sahara if you plan on lifting it with 35s. Also read up on going above a 3" lift, you'll have to do other work too.

If you go Ruicon, get one with the 4:1.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Which year and model is usually influenced by budget. Some of the early 2012 have/had a well documented engine problem due to startup problems at new factory so just check into the history and maybe avoid the early units.

Which model depends on what you want it for. From top to bottom pricing wise, the Rubi has some features built for heavier off road driving, the Sahara is loaded more comfort creatures and the Sport is the base model that can be built from scratch with most features the other two models have except the HD off road options. Most JKs sold are Sport and Saharas so just find the one that fits your needs. Keep in mind that features that are standard on other vehicles are sometimes optional on Jeeps.

3-4" lifts are great on JKs but they have some additional mechanical consequences. Read some of threads and decide how much lift you really want. 2.5" will enable you to run 35s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts