Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and about to purchase my first Wrangler. Any thoughts or suggestions from you experts will help me determine the year and model I buy. I'm considering 2004-2007 models. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Jaybo said:
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and about to purchase my first Wrangler. Any thoughts or suggestions from you experts will help me determine the year and model I buy. I'm considering 2004-2007 models. Thanks!
2007 is the new model, the JK. It has a new engine, a little bigger, has a 4 door option and all around has better road manners. Plus you can fit bigger tires under it with less lift. 35" tires can go under a stock JK, but not confortably. You can really only do 33" stock whereas only 31" tires can go under a '04-'06 (TJ)

My vote is 2007

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm partial to the TJ with the straight six. The engine is unbeatable, and it's built like a tank. The TJ is easy to work on, mechanically, as it is all old-tech. Usually if something breaks, you can fix it yourself and find really inexpensive parts to do the job right.

In reality, what Jeep you want to get fully depends on what you plan on doing with it. You're not going to go wrong with either the TJ or the JK. Both are extraordinarily capable off road machines that will get you through the worst weather that New England has to through at you.

If you want to upgrade to bigger tires and a lift, look into a 2003-05 Rubicon, since they come stock with the stronger Dana44 axles and a locker. It would save you money in the long run.

Whatever you decide to do, please promise me one thing... no mudflaps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Older the better cheaper to buy, simple machines, can be fixed by anyone. american made and well built, i love my 89

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
05Unlimted said:
Go with a tj best quality and get one with a nice 4.0l instead of those jks with their 3.7's....
Jk's have a 3.8. The liberty GC and commander had the 3.7. The 3.8 is actually a very comparable quality of engine as a 4.0. People easily get to 200,000 miles in them plus they are more efficient and slightly more powerful. I like the 07 a little better due to its better road manners and more ground clearance stock

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
sdptrey said:
07-11 is a minivan engine. Front end is a weak point if you put big tires on. TJ all the way
So is the 4.0. And the new 3.6. They all are minivan engines

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
So is the 4.0.
:facepalm: FALSE! You have brought FAIL to this forum

Please tell us in your infinite wisdom what "minivan" has the 4.0 I6 in it.. :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The 4.0 is a man's engine. I miss the old Comanche.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
XJ Knight said:
:facepalm: FALSE! You have brought FAIL to this forum

Please tell us in your infinite wisdom what "minivan" has the 4.0 I6 in it.. :popcorn:
You are correct. I thought it was in a grand caravan. It's a different design

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yup that I6 ranks right up there with the 318,289,327,396,390,455, as one of the best engines ever built for it's purpose.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Eh don't get a jeep get a real off roader like a Hummer H2.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Gate53 said:
Yup that I6 ranks right up there with the 318,289,327,396,390,455, as one of the best engines ever built for it's purpose.
No 350 short block in there?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts