1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,318 Posts
Square headlights mean it is a YJ

YJ was after CJ and before TJ

From wiki on YJ

“Jeep Wrangler YJ

The Jeep Wrangler YJ was the first generation of Jeep Wrangler four-wheel drive small off-road vehicles, rebadging and succeeding Jeep's CJ series, produced from 1944 to 1986. The first Wrangler (internally "YJ") was launched in 1986 and ran through 1995. Although the new Wrangler stood out by its square headlights, its body was a direct evolution of the preceding CJ-7, and rode on the same wheelbase. The Wrangler featured an updated interior, offered more comfort and improved safety and handling, through a revised chassis that included wider tracks and a slightly lower stance.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!🙏🏻

Square headlights mean it is a YJ

YJ was after CJ and before TJ

From wiki on YJ

“Jeep Wrangler YJ

The Jeep Wrangler YJ was the first generation of Jeep Wrangler four-wheel drive small off-road vehicles, rebadging and succeeding Jeep's CJ series, produced from 1944 to 1986. The first Wrangler (internally "YJ") was launched in 1986 and ran through 1995. Although the new Wrangler stood out by its square headlights, its body was a direct evolution of the preceding CJ-7, and rode on the same wheelbase. The Wrangler featured an updated interior, offered more comfort and improved safety and handling, through a revised chassis that included wider tracks and a slightly lower stance.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
That YJ has a sport bar so it can be narrowed down to 1987-1990.

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
Digger is correct. The extended bars came into being in '92 with the shoulder harnesses in the back seat. I had a '91. It was kind of a unicorn - first YJ with fuel injected 4.0L engine and last with the angle brace to the sport bar and only seat belts in the back seat.

It's a Sahara because of the body color fender flares and the wipers are either messed up or non functional as in rest the YJ wipers were angled up to the passenger side of the windshield.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Our '88 had a simple C-channel steel bumper up front so the bumper on this one puts it around 1990?

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
All YJs (and TJs) as well as all the CJs had the simple C channel bumper in front. The Chrome bumper was the same style, just chromed, not painted black. In fact I believe the there styles of bumper (CJ, YJ and TJ differed in only in the number of holes, with the TJ having the most and the YJ the fewest. The top of the bumper on the CJ and YJ have one hole for bumper bolt and the TJ has two - not really for the bumper but for the optional tow hooks.

I even have a home made C channel bumper I used on my '91 YJ that was set up for towing - it has the brackets on the front face. A friend of mine made it for his Jeepster back in the day and we tried it on the YJ and it fit like a glove. He wanted it gone. When I traded the YJ off, I put the original bumper back on and the home made one is still sitting in a corner of my storage shed.

There was a photo of a JK on here once where he owner made his own C channel bumper for his 2 door JK. Looked great. A bit more complex to install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts