Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Wrangler (should be arriving in a week or so)...and I'm not sure what I should be paying for modifications. Although I used to work on my own cars when I was younger, I simply don't have all the tools necessary to do this myself (although I have a friend who does all his own mods who may be able to assist, if I decide to save a few bucks and do it myself with his assitance).

Looking at either a Warn Zeon 8-s or 9.5cti-s and planned to get the Maximus3 winch mounting plate. The 9.5cti-s looks like an easier install, since it's off-center (doesn't require the cutting a Zeon would)...I'm thinking these two models are a toss-up for reliability/performance and either would serve me well...and the price difference between them isn't a deal breaker.

If I took this to a local shop, or the dealership, to have it installed...what would you expect to pay? I saw a website (RubiTrux) offering winch installs for $70...but I'll bet that's a simple install where the winch simply bolts to the top of the bumper, hook up the power, finished...not the complex 10a/X install I would be facing, where the bumper must be removed and a few minor modifications may need to be made (e.g. vacuum pump relocation).

Thanks in advance! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
473 Posts
My first Wrangler (should be arriving in a week or so)...and I'm not sure what I should be paying for modifications. Although I used to work on my own cars when I was younger, I simply don't have all the tools necessary to do this myself (although I have a friend who does all his own mods who may be able to assist, if I decide to save a few bucks and do it myself with his assitance).

Looking at either a Warn Zeon 8-s or 9.5cti-s and planned to get the Maximus3 winch mounting plate. The 9.5cti-s looks like an easier install, since it's off-center (doesn't require the cutting a Zeon would)...I'm thinking these two models are a toss-up for reliability/performance and either would serve me well...and the price difference between them isn't a deal breaker.

If I took this to a local shop, or the dealership, to have it installed...what would you expect to pay? I saw a website (RubiTrux) offering winch installs for $70...but I'll bet that's a simple install where the winch simply bolts to the top of the bumper, hook up the power, finished...not the complex 10a/X install I would be facing, where the bumper must be removed and a few minor modifications may need to be made (e.g. vacuum pump relocation).

Thanks in advance! :beerdrinking:
Not sure if the Maximus works with the CTI you may want to check. I got the Mopar mount for mine. No cutting on the bumper to do the install. Regardless of which way you go the bracket for the vacuum pump has to be cut off. Figure maybe $180 since the bumper must be taken off and the bracket cut.
The install is easy to do if your friend has the wrenches needed and something to cut with. I did mine by myself and I am a woman with no mechanics training. :thumb:
I should say I have a 10A but same bumper as the X

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a winch install. That's the max and that's if they have to cut something to install the winch. If there is no cutting and no pump relocation involved, I wouldn't pay more than $150.

However, personally, I would do my own winch install. You should see if your friend is willing to help and let you borrow some tools. It's a great way to learn about your Jeep as the more you know the better, especially out in on the trails. Also, why not invest in some tools? You do have a Jeep =)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Also, if your patient, there's a seller on eBay who has the 9.5cti with steel cable for $699 every week or 2. He sells 3 at a time and they usually go in a day or so. I got one of those and the Warn rope from Amazon for $217, so I made my own self assembled 9.5cti-s for about $950 once I got the Fairlead too, or about $500 less than they go for.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips.

I'll keep an eye on eBay for the winch and check with my friend regarding installing it myself with his help.

Main reason I'm considering letting the dealer install it is this may be the only major upgrade I make during the 1st year and I'll have fewer worries about warranty coverage if they do the work...and perhaps I can get a good price on the install if done before I take delivery (might even get it financed as part of the purchase price if they're competitive on the price of the winch itself...though I'm sure they'll want at least 50-75% more for the winch, not sure why dealers think they can charge more for the same item).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts