Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a XHD bumper and want to add a front skid plate. I was thinking about a Rugged Ridge Front skid since I figured it would match the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper. But I was informed by the Offroad shop that it requires cutting to mount on the Jeep and they quoted 2 1/2 hours labor which is more then the cost of the skid.

Has anyone installed this one and are they getting wrong information on installing the RR skid? Or is there a better front skid to use that is easier to install and will work with the XHD bumper?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
rics1997 said:
I have a XHD bumper and want to add a front skid plate. I was thinking about a Rugged Ridge Front skid since I figured it would match the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper. But I was informed by the Offroad shop that it requires cutting to mount on the Jeep and they quoted 2 1/2 hours labor which is more then the cost of the skid.

Has anyone installed this one and are they getting wrong information on installing the RR skid? Or is there a better front skid to use that is easier to install and will work with the XHD bumper?
I dont think any cutting is required, look at the installation manual. I am gonna get one for my xhd bumper because so much mud and gunk is thrown into the backside of the radiator with the factory bumper and air dam removed.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I installed the RR front skid and it's a simple bolt on installation. The only difficult part is holding it up to get the bolts started because it's so heavy. A helper would definitely come in handy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 that I bought the XHD bumper and skid plate for. After confirming that there wouldn't be any cutting, drilling, etc. required for installation, I was pretty upset to find out that was only true through the 2009 model year. To install the skid plate, I had to cut/grind about 1/8" of metal from each side of the frame and drill one hole on the passenger side of the frame. Plus I had to remove the new bumper/winch assembly I had just installed to get at the nuts to finish the installation of the skid plate. When I called XHD, they pointed me to a new set of installation instructions that detail what must be done. You can download them at their website. Once installed, it looks great and is definitely high quality. Just a lot more work than anticipated or advertised!

·
Registered
66 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:cool: You could also checkout "Skidrow" front skid-

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO
How does the skid row skid plate attach to frame/crossmember? Do you think it could be used with an XHD bumper? I have the XHD front bumper system on a 2010 and would also like to add a front skid, but don't really want to do the necessary cutting/grinding. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi. I installed one and NO cutting was involved. I like mine if I remember correctly, you has to loosen the elec sway way motor to hook up on a rubicon simple to put on.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:) Same way as the Elevated skid !!

How does the skid row skid plate attach to frame/crossmember? Do you think it could be used with an XHD bumper? I have the XHD front bumper system on a 2010 and would also like to add a front skid, but don't really want to do the necessary cutting/grinding. Thanks!
:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have the 2010. They say the cutting is only needed on the 2010 and 2011. All the models before that the skid fits without modification. This according to the instructions. I did see that Jtmoore2 confirmed this above. Hoping I could find something more simple but it isn't looking good.

Were I see the biggest problem with the Skidrow and Elevated after looking under mine is that the XHD bumper is lower towards the ground. Not sure that it would fit because the front of the skid may be to tall. If not for that drilling two screw holes in the bumper to mount the plate would be less work then cutting frame and drilling one hole for the Rugged Ridge

·
Registered
66 Posts
Elevated Offroad said:
Ours bolts to the crossbar on the bottom and then at the top the the bottom of the front factory bumper. I don't think the XHD bumper has the holes to mount to. Ill give them a call today and double check for you tho.
Thanks, much appreciated. I would like to do the work myself, but since I only have a dremmel I can't imagine how many attachment heads it would take to cut the frame ends. Maybe it would be easier to get the skid row plate and drill two holes instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts