Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a couple more sound tests and as panther would try to convince me, "why would you spend more for a system if you just started with stock?" So... I am flipping yet again.

I'm going to go all out stock on the system avoiding the 430N. That means I lose voice control, bluetooth audio streaming, navi. Anything else?

What's an aftermarket head unit that is equivalent or better for around $1k that would fit well in the JKU 13' dash?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am getting a Kenwood DNX6190 or 6990HD, both are under 1K. adding steering wheel control module, bluetooth, XM/sirius, backup camera, dash kit, harness, etc. installed for around $1500.

Now, if i could just get the jeep so that I can get this installed....

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If you can wait a few weeks, I might have a partial solution to this problem....kinda....maybe.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can wait a few weeks, I might have a partial solution to this problem....kinda....maybe.
Yes. I'll wait to hear the details. I won't be making the order for another 30 days.
I am getting a Kenwood DNX6190 or 6990HD, both are under 1K. adding steering wheel control module, bluetooth, XM/sirius, backup camera, dash kit, harness, etc. installed for around $1500.

Now, if i could just get the jeep so that I can get this installed....
The 6990HD looks nice!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
OK,
I'm about 90% sure I'm going with a 430 RBZ. Not a 430N, (nor a 430 REN, which is an older version of the 430 RBZ).

The 430 (RBZ) is the non nav version of the 430N that is not offered in the Wrangler for some very odd reason.

This is a great thread.
Installed an RBZ Mygig in my 2012 JKU

And this is also has great (but not updated) information.
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System - parts

They can easily be found on e-bay for less than $400.

If you get the "right one", they are 100% plug and play....no flash needed.

The problem is finding the right one.

*First, it HAS to have a high speed CAN-Bus

*Second, in the middle of 2011, Jeep starting using the Anti-theft versions, so if you order one, make sure you can get the security code. (They say anti-theft on the front left hand corner, and are at least mid 2011 builds).

*Third, some of them are back-lit in blue instead of green. I "think" the Durango is one of the few which used a high speed 430 with a blue background.

*Fourth, there was a software update which added a few nice features, but I'm not sure how far back you can go to get a used 430 with that updated. 2010?

Right now I'm thinking:
430 (non-nav)
Four new 6.5's (77Kick10 if they are 2 ohms)
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X.1
Alpine Type R 2 ohm DVC 8" sub
Polyfil

I might even put off the amp and sub for a bit if the Kickers are 2 ohms and sound better because that would mean pure "drop in" upgrades while looking 100% stock.

Factory HU, factory speaker grills, everything hidden, no extra wires....nothing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK,
I'm about 90% sure I'm going with a 430 RBZ. Not a 430N, (nor a 430 REN, which is an older version of the 430 RBZ).

The 430 (RBZ) is the non nav version of the 430N that is not offered in the Wrangler for some very odd reason.

This is a great thread.
Installed an RBZ Mygig in my 2012 JKU

And this is also has great (but not updated) information.
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System - parts

They can easily be found on e-bay for less than $400.

If you get the "right one", they are 100% plug and play....no flash needed.

The problem is finding the right one.

*First, it HAS to have a high speed CAN-Bus

*Second, in the middle of 2011, Jeep starting using the Anti-theft versions, so if you order one, make sure you can get the security code. (They say anti-theft on the front left hand corner, and are at least mid 2011 builds).

*Third, some of them are back-lit in blue instead of green. I "think" the Durango is one of the few which used a high speed 430 with a blue background.

*Fourth, there was a software update which added a few nice features, but I'm not sure how far back you can go to get a used 430 with that updated. 2010?

Right now I'm thinking:
430 (non-nav)
Four new 6.5's (77Kick10 if they are 2 ohms)
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X.1
Alpine Type R 2 ohm DVC 8" sub
Polyfil

I might even put off the amp and sub for a bit if the Kickers are 2 ohms and sound better because that would mean pure "drop in" upgrades while looking 100% stock.

Factory HU, factory speaker grills, everything hidden, no extra wires....nothing.
I might do the exact same setup with a 430N then. I like the idea of keeping as much factory stuff as possible complexity wise.

I can do the same exact thing with 430N right? Let me know when you find out about the 2 ohm thing.

How hard is it to install these new speakers? I've never touched speakers in my life but if they're drop in that sounds fairly easy.

Will the 77Kick10's supposedly fix the muddiness at least on their own? I guess it'll sound too crisp at that point with not enough low end?

How hard is it to splice another amp for the sub? Is polyfil hard to install?

The idea of nothing extra in terms of wires sounds nice besides the new amp/sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts