Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery on a new 2011 Unlimited Rubicon and have lot's of questions...What's the ECO light?
This is my first post but will be adding more!
Many thanks
Sunriver

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Welcome! :wavey:

ECO comes on when you are driving in such a manner as to maximize gas mileage. Hit the gas pedal harder, and you'll see it go away. It's an option that can be turned off in the EVIC controls.

There is some information on it in the electronics section of the user manual, along with information on how to disable it, if you want.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Relevant Part:

ECO (Fuel Saver Mode) — If Equipped

The ECO message will display below the outside temperature in the EVIC display. This message will appear whenever you are driving in a fuel efficient manner.
This feature allows you to monitor when you are driving in a fuel efficient manner, and it can be used to modify driving habits in order to increase fuel economy.

More info on EVIC's features:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/electronic-vehicle-information-center-69194.html#post880193

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Regardless of driving habits, hill or no hill, or any gear used, the ECO light always comes on when I'm coasting "IN" gear and goes off the second I touch the gas pedal. It actually makes me laugh because it's saying "use the gas pedal in any way and your not driving a fuel efficient vehicle". :D

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Regardless of driving habits, hill or no hill, or any gear used, the ECO light always comes on when I'm coasting "IN" gear and goes off the second I touch the gas pedal. It actually makes me laugh because it's saying "use the gas pedal in any way and your not driving a fuel efficient vehicle". :D
For me it stays on if I'm accelerating lightly, but if I put my foot down it will go off. It also goes off as soon as your tach needle goes past the green-colored section at about 2700rpm I think. So it's really a combination of current RPM and throttle percentage: if you're "in the green" AND you're accelerating softly or not at all, it will be on. Accelerating hard turns it off regardless of RPM, and high RPMs (beyond the green section) will turn it off regardless of throttle position.

The exception to the rule is idling, which will turn it off as well, because you're getting 0 mpg. :)

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I have tried to keep it on by applying the smallest amount of gas possible. Barely even moving the pedal actually and it shuts off the second the pedal is barely touched. I have tried every amount of pressure possible to prove this wrong but it always cuts off the second gas is applied under any circumstance. Again, this is in any gear and at any speed.

Now despite this, my in city MPG average is 18.5 and 21.4 on the highway. :)

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
ESP123 said:
I have tried to keep it on by applying the smallest amount of gas possible. Barely even moving the pedal actually and it shuts off the second the pedal is barely touched. I have tried every amount of pressure possible to prove this wrong but it always cuts off the second gas is applied under any circumstance. Again, this is in any gear and at any speed.

Now despite this, my in city MPG average is 18.5 and 21.4 on the highway. :)
Maybe they improved the algorithm in 2011? What year is yours? I can definitely get up into 6th from a stop without ever making the light go off. I have to try, but I can definitely do it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Same here with the 2010..never comes on unless my foot is completely off the gas..i don't worry about it

·
Registered
146 Posts
ECO? Huh?

I have the same deal. Sooo ECO = Engine Coasting Only? :rolleyes:

2010 JKU Sport 6 speed Man.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Eco and JK is an oxymoron.
funny--then again we didn't buy em for fuel economy though did we? :rofl: although going from a lifted 06 F150 that got around 8 mpg, 15-17 mpg in my JK is awesome!

-bob :wavey:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts