Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New ish owner looking to put together my on board tool kit. Something to stay in the jeep and just cover a wide range of things that could be needed on the trail or where ever.

What do you have in yours?

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Toolkit:
A 60-piece Kobalt bit & socket wrench kit (SAE+metric, various bits)
Breaker bar with larger sockets (like 18mm)
Heavy hammer
Slip-joint pliers
Cutting pliers
Vise-grip pliers
Adjustable wrench
Bolt cutter
Hose clamps, various sizes
Zip ties
Duct tape
Nylon rope
Ratchet straps
Bungee cords
Tire repair kit
Radiator repair putty
Silicon repair tape
Assorted fuses
WD-40
1 quart each gear oil, engine oil, ATF fluid

Trail kit:
Trail axe
Pruning saw
Folding shovel

Then of course all the recovery stuff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
New ish owner looking to put together my on board tool kit. Something to stay in the jeep and just cover a wide range of things that could be needed on the trail or where ever. What do you have in yours?
156 piece socket set Hammer Channellock pliers A tool roll with box ends Breaker bar Vice grips Assorted screw drivers Write cutters Zip ties Assorted electrical stuff(wires connectors tape) Some bungee cords
Black jack kit
Air compressor

·
Registered
183 Posts
Small Shovel
Traction Board(s)
Come-Along
Recovery Spade
canvas Bags (used as buried sand bags for recovery)
Recovery Strap
Jack Board
Tire pressure Gauge
Air Compressor
CB Radio
Water

but, I am an over-sand off-roader........ :)

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Dang @cdeslandes!! I carry a bag of sour patch kids and some sandwiches :lmao:

Seriously though. I'm not very extreme.
Complete 1/2 socket set.
Torque wrench
breaker
flashlights
zip ties
tire plugs
allen/torx kit
fire extinguisher
various bungees
straps
dRings
compressor
loppers
gloves
vise grips
a few crescent wrenches
pliers

and Beer :beerdrinking: :drinks:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Toolkit:
A 60-piece Kobalt bit & socket wrench kit (SAE+metric, various bits)
Breaker bar with larger sockets (like 18mm)
Heavy hammer
Slip-joint pliers
Cutting pliers
Vise-grip pliers
Adjustable wrench
Bolt cutter
Hose clamps, various sizes
Zip ties
Duct tape
Nylon rope
Ratchet straps
Bungee cords
Tire repair kit
Radiator repair putty
Silicon repair tape
Assorted fuses
WD-40
1 quart each gear oil, engine oil, ATF fluid

Trail kit:
Trail axe
Pruning saw
Folding shovel

Then of course all the recovery stuff.
No wonder why you have an unlimited.:lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Bubble gum, baling wire, duct tape, cuss words...

Still pulling together my set. Have sockets, screwdrivers, rope, ratchet sets, BFH, duct tape, ...

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
No wonder why you have an unlimited.:lmao:
LOL I also have a recovery kit (tree saver, strap, 4 shackles, 3 snatch blocks, winch remote); a high lift jack under the rear seat and bag of accessories (chains, jack base etc); compressor; a first aid kit that qualifies as a field hospital; survival stuff (snacks, tarp, flares, knife, TP etc); and a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm glad the two most important items were covered;
Toilet paper and fire extinguisher!
Also a set of SAE and Metric Allen wrenches and torx... I'm sure most have them but forgot to mention them in their boxes. I like a crow foot pry bar in large and medium size as well. A tube of grease (in a ziplock Baggie) is another useful item to add that doesn't take up a lotta space.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Great items above. Somebody mentioned a quart of engine oil... I recommend more. Every time I've been out and somebody needed oil, they needed more than just a quart. I now carry 3 for "that guy".

I've got a JKU with a large plastic box behind the rear seat that never comes out. It's got my lubricants, recovery straps/blocks/chain, pry bar, bailing wire, electrical, duct, and "Rescue Tape", jumper cables, torque wrench, battery impact wrench and sockets, ratchet straps, BFH (big friggin' hammer), cat litter, JB-Weld, and a mat. I carry spare U-joints and a ball joint press (great for field U-joint replacement!) and a spare front axle hub assembly.

I also have a pretty decently equipped Craftsman tool kit that, with the above mentioned box all straps down securely for the unlikely event of a rollover. The kit has SAE/Metric 3/8" and 1/2" sockets and the wrenches are also dual standard. I added a torx set, and I've augmented the Craftsman kit with a couple adjustable wrenches and vice-grips, standard and metric hex key sets, better screwdrivers, a couple small files, I put a folding shovel in the rear floor storage cubbie, have my high lift jack on my tire carrier, a CB and Ham radio are permanently installed, and I often carry a spare portable CB for "that guy" that doesn't have a radio on our trail ride.

I'm a firm believer when it comes to back country emergency tools... Truly it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
^ great list! I wheel in the summer when I'm at my country home, so instead of keeping tools there I mostly keep them in the Jeep and they do double duty as trail/home tools.

I often wheel alone so I need to be self-sufficient.

My Jeep is also our bug-out vehicle, so I'm building up the survival aspect as well.

Bottom line is, your kit should match the use of your Jeep and the kind of off-roading you do.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Light meter
Agilent multimeter
ratchet set
torque wrench
nut/torx drivers
screw drivers
pliers, dikes, silicone tape, electrical tape, zip ties
fuses, relays, jumper wire
food/water/first aid
big axe, little axe, shovel, big saw, little saw, rope
reflective vest, gloves, respirator, fire extinguisher, triage toe tags, nitrile gloves, various colored markers, hard hat, goggles, gas shut-off tool, pry bar, ERG (Emergency Response Guidebook), flashlights, rain gear, more gloves
snap strap, shackles, tree saver, snatch block
toilet paper, portable loo
2M radio, CB SSB

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Light meter
Agilent multimeter
ratchet set
torque wrench
nut/torx drivers
screw drivers
pliers, dikes, silicone tape, electrical tape, zip ties
fuses, relays, jumper wire
food/water/first aid
big axe, little axe, shovel, big saw, little saw, rope
reflective vest, gloves, respirator, fire extinguisher, triage toe tags, nitrile gloves, various colored markers, hard hat, goggles, gas shut-off tool, pry bar, ERG (Emergency Response Guidebook), flashlights, rain gear, more gloves
snap strap, shackles, tree saver, snatch block
toilet paper, portable loo
2M radio, CB SSB
Not sure I want to go where you're going...... :lmao:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Not sure I want to go where you're going...... :lmao:
I volunteer for SAR missions.
That's just stuff in the Jeep every day. It gets creepier depending on what bad stuff is going on...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been meaning to throw in a board in case i need to use the jack on loose/muddy soil. Other than that, a less complete version of what others have mentioned.
Here's my version of said board. I bought three adhesive backed rubber tread tiles from harbor freight and stuck them to 1/2" plywood cut to fit my trunk area. It covers the carpet and if I need them for support they are there.

image.jpg

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Credit where credit is due

What's in my tool kit?

Capital One, Baby! :thumb:
For everything else, I go hide in the woods and let my hot babe of a girl friend handle it... :rofl:

OK, on a more serious note, lot's of great replies above.
If you have good electrical skills, adding a wiring repair kit to the above mentioned stuff is really a bonus.
I've helped quite a few people over the years make repairs to electrical modifications that have been added, and factory harnesses that have been hacked into.

One tip I would add is, just like a doctor... "first rule is to do no harm".
So analyze the big picture, and think about how the modification, or repair, will affect the overall vehicle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts