Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. My dad enlisted me to sell his jeep wrangler TJ sport. I think it's priced too high but was going to see what y'all thought. So here is everything installed on it. And some pictures. How much would you pay? He was asking 18k but recently lowered the price to 17.2k.

2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Engine: Chevrolet Ram Jet 350
Transmission: Automatic
700 R4 transmission w/ Lokar shifter
Slip yolk eliminator kit
Dana 30 front upgraded joints and detroit locker
Dana 44 rear w/ detroit locker
3:73 gear ratio
Currie front end components
4" ProComp lift with 1" body lift
35x12.5x15 BFGs on the jeep
36x13.5x15 Iroks
Warn HS 9500i winch
Warn front bumper
Smitty built rear bumper w/ tire carrier
Teraflex rock rails
Leather seats
Carpet flooring
Needs AC repair

https://jpegbay.com/gallery/006400282-.html#1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
I would recommend that you go into KBB and see what it is worth in a private sale without the modifications. Then list all the modifications (except engine and transmission) and divide that by at least 2. Then what it took for the engine and transmission work and divide that by 4. Add those three numbers and that is probably the best you can expect.

A couple of comments - you have two sets of tires listed, but the photos show the BFGs. Is there another set of wheels and tires? The tires on the Jeep are showing some wear which is not an inducement to buy. The rear bumper could use some paint to freshen it up.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Mods like engine swaps make it less desirable to all but a few buyers
It is worth whatever he can sell it for but at that price he may be waiting a long time for a buyer

Between emissions and unknown repair issues/parts I would pass on non stock engine and typically you are lucky if you get 20 cents on the dollar on mods

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I dig it, but wholly agree with @Digger84. Once you frankenstein the motor & tranny you mine down your market. I'd take a nice set of selectable lockers, or the one of the two LJ rubi's for sale in my area over that horsepower.

Also, at that price, nothing should need to be fixed. It should be tip top. Few will want to drop 17k on a 16 year old jeep with a broke A/C.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The jeep looks pretty clean, like others have said its hard since the engine isnt stock. But if it drove nice,shifted smoothly, and no lights came on after a long test drive id prob pay around 12k for it (if i was in the market for a TJ). I paid 7k for mine its a 03,stock engine stock auto trans, 114k miles, 4 inch lift, 33s, sye, winch, side railes, offroad front and rear bumper, dyna 44 rear, and arb air lockers. But i had to rebuild the transfer case. (I just listed that as a reference). With that being said idk what others would pay. I say if your not in a rush to sell just post it in as many places as you can and see who bites.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Saw this meme today and reminded me of threads like this. Of course not this specific thread, but all the ones asking if a jeep for sale is worth it or how much the should ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Way too much tire and engine for the axles...

Asking price 12.5.... sell 8.5 to 10.5.... fix a/c and add 1k to those numbers

Edit... didn't notice the ripped up seats.... subtract 1-2k

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mileage on the chassis and new engine/tranny would be helpful. Who did the engine work, is there paperwork, is it warrantied? Why is there a new engine?

If I was pricing out Jeeps I would pass over this one at that price as one priced that high needs to be special, have something cool. I'd rather drop $9-$10k on a stock 2001 with 100k miles and then mod it myself and still be under that $17.2k price tag. So much of the fun of Jeeps is designing what to do.

Red Flags

1) New engine and tranny without explantion
2) No AC
3) Mods I wouldn't want

·
Registered
787 Posts
Price is way too high. most jeepers I know would want to do the mods themselves. I think a stock 01 is worth more than a modified 01. That way I have a clean canvas to start with, not mods that I may not want and now have to repair or replace. reread Diggers post.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The price is wayyyyyyyyyyy too high. He can expect to get the kbb value, whatever that might be for a 2001. Most folks just want a solid jeep and have no appreciation for any high quality mod. IMO it severely devalue a jeep when the motor is not stock. There just are too many variables and questions when you see a hacked jeep in that manner.

Gas mileage is bad enough with a stock engine, would hate to see what it is with something like that.

AC don't work? It should for $17 k. That can easily go over $1k to get that fixed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you have a soft top, you can sell the hard top separate to maximize dollars. Same with selling the winch separate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts