Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2004 TJ Rubicon with the stock 16" Moabs. I noticed it before we bought it and it isn't a huge deal, but there is something on almost all of the wheels and I can't figure out what. Look at the white spots around the center caps.

Anyone know what it is and how to get it off?

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Interested also....... I have the same looking blemishes on my tj canyon wheels but its worse than yours. I don't know it happened and I don't think it can be fixed. I think its some form of oxidation like when bare metal rusts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Corrosion, not rust. Common on aircraft, under painted surfaces. Once started, it is self sustaining and tunnels under paint and clear coat and does not stop until the covering film is removed and the aluminum is cleaned and polished. This corrosion leaves deep pitting and can lead to total failure of the base metal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Corrosion, not rust. Common on aircraft, under painted surfaces. Once started, it is self sustaining and tunnels under paint and clear coat and does not stop until the covering film is removed and the aluminum is cleaned and polished. This corrosion leaves deep pitting and can lead to total failure of the base metal.
You are correct. this is known as "filiform" corrosion, a type of galvanic corrosion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have thought about Plastidipping but don't want the corrosion spots to show through. Not sure what I'll do quite yet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
TeeJayBurton said:
Have thought about Plastidipping but don't want the corrosion spots to show through. Not sure what I'll do quite yet.
The nice thing about plastic dip is if you don't like it you can always peel it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts