Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the stock headlights on my 06 rubi. What is the best plug and play lights ? I don't want to add wiring harness, relays, or new switches, just headlights. TIA.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Truck-lite Phase 7 LED headlamps. They are a direct plug and play lamp with much better light output over stock and lower current draw on your battery than any HID or halogen bulb. They are solid state and have cast aluminum housings with polycarbonate lenses - this all makes them very resistant to shock/vibration. LED lights last much longer than any bulb type light, so you will probably never have to change them out, either.

The main downside is the price tag - you can find them online for around 500 a pair...

·
Registered
107 Posts
From my reading the best would be hella ecodes with their 60/55 since best needs to include price. If you're willing to add $30 for a plug an play harness to run as high as 100/90's then get the harness and be done with it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you're willing to add $30 for a plug an play harness to run as high as 100/90's then get the harness and be done with it.
Even if he stays with legal output, a harness is still a good idea. It will allow more voltage to get to the headlights, thereby making them brighter. Where are you finding a quality harness for $30?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think you guys are missing the clincher of his post...

I don't want to add wiring harness, relays, or new switches, just headlights.
I don't believe there are any HID kits out there that don't require at least a small amount of wiring and adding in relay's/harnesses. The Truck-lite's literally just plug into the factory headlamp wiring just like a replacement halogen lamp.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Yes but at 500 a pair I could not afford it if I wanted them.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Hella E-Codes and some H4's is a VAST improvement over OEM sealed beams.

·
Registered
274 Posts
TnDz TJ said:
"Vast" is an understatement they was a difference in night and day for me. I listened to the guys on here and went with the Hellas and haven't regretted it since I do a lot of nighttime driving and would even think twice about doing it again on another Jeep. I bought my Hellas from Amazon and picked up my bulbs from the parts house. For such a simple thing to do I wish I had done it when I first got my jeep.

·
Registered
277 Posts
TnDz TJ said:
Which H4 bulbs did you get? And are these completely plug and play or do these need a harness as well?

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Which H4 bulbs did you get? And are these completely plug and play or do these need a harness as well?

I'd say do the harness upgrade in any case. Even with the stock sealed beams it would be a big improvement.

It would also give you the capability to upgrade your bulb wattage in the future.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I'm happy with my auto-pal H4 conversion for $25. Could be a better pattern, but still better than stock output.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Even if he stays with legal output, a harness is still a good idea. It will allow more voltage to get to the headlights, thereby making them brighter. Where are you finding a quality harness for $30?
Putco, amazon. I've asked 2 people here without issues but amazon says the relays suck. Even if they do its not hard to swap them out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think you guys are missing the clincher of his post...

I don't believe there are any HID kits out there that don't require at least a small amount of wiring and adding in relay's/harnesses. The Truck-lite's literally just plug into the factory headlamp wiring just like a replacement halogen lamp.
Who said anything about hids? Ecodes are just light housings and h4s plug right in. I only brought up a harness because it is plug and play and only if he thinks the 60/55's are still to dim.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hella e-codes are the best modification I've made to my Jeep. It's nice to actually be able to see at night. :)

I got mine from Susquehanna motorsports (or something like that.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
G8RDave said:
Hella e-codes are the best modification I've made to my Jeep. It's nice to actually be able to see at night. :)

I got mine from Susquehanna motorsports (or something like that.)
Did you upgrade the harness or just get the housings and h4 bulbs?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I replaced with the Hella Vision Plus that have the HB2 bulb. It is a big impovement from the old bulbs on my 05 LJ. 4 Wheel Parts has them now for $39 so they are a lot of bang for the buck.

My question, what is involved in replacing the harness?

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
What harnesses are you guys using?

I can't speak for anyone but me, but I'll be making my own. Plenty of write ups if you search Google, and if you build your own you can do it for pennies on the dollar of what's available.

Some soldering skills and the ability to follow a wiring diagram is all you need.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts