Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sandy flooded the jeep. I have a full tank that i could really use in our generator since i cant drive it. What is the easier way to drain the tank into gas jugs short of drilling a hole in the tank? Cant syphon it from the cap. Tried that already.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If ya can't syphon only other way drop the gas tank
No way. There has to be a way to tap into the fuel rail and start the the jeep and let the fuel pump push the gas out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If ya can't syphon only other way drop the gas tank
No way. There has to be a way to tap into the fuel rail and start the the jeep and let the fuel pump push the gas out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
you could pull your gas line into the fuel rail, add a tube and turn your key into the "run" position(not start), it will push fuel for .5-1 second. then switch the key off then do it again and again. It will be a long process but should get you there.

Thats the only way i can think of without dropping your tank or drilling a hole :(

Best of luck! stay safe and warm the best you can

·
Registered
58 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line and put the end into a fuel container, jumper the fuel pump relay. Disconnect the jumper when can is full.

·
Registered
149 Posts
why cant you siphon it?

You can't stick a hose in the tank and siphon it out?

·
Registered
773 Posts
This video may or may not work on a JK, but it's an idea at least. You might try first to see if a smaller stiff hose will even work itself through to the bottom of your tank. I believe that there's a ball/baffle at the tank neck to get past. Getting the hose back out when you're done however, may be another story. Also, of course, a battery powered drill/screwdriver for the pump would be needed, if you have no power. Plus, it would be more safe. Good luck! :thumb:

***Warning - The video does have some bad language, so don't let any youngins listen.***

How to Siphon Gas from a Newer Vehicle - YouTube

And then there is this trick, that's worth a shot.

How to siphon gas easily without a pump. - YouTube

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
I hope all you guys who bought locking caps to keep people from stealing your gas are reading this thread! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I took the stiff 5/8 (small dia.) fuel line from my boat. It has the pump ball on it. It is stiff enough,small yet flexible to get the job done. Also it has to be at least 6' to 8' long.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
How high did the floodwater get? Is it still safe to use the gas from a vehicle if the entire gas tank was submerged?

·
Registered
31 Posts
After Katrina - several people on the coast down here used the small water lines usually used to connect refrigerator icemakers to the water supply.

It takes longer, but can usually still be used going through the fuel filler.

·
Registered
462 Posts
And then there is this trick, that's worth a shot.

How to siphon gas easily without a pump. - YouTube
Any long enough tube will do, as long as the container's level is lower than the tank. Simple physics, liquid will run from the high level to low level because of difference in atmospheric pressure even slightly. That's how we changed water in the fish tank when I was kid, no pump needed.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not really. I only have one to basically keep kids from putting something in there. If someone wants to open the cap it's easy whether it's locked or not. So, not a total waste of $.
So yeah, it would be a total waste of money.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Any long enough tube will do, as long as the container's level is lower than the tank. Simple physics, liquid will run from the high level to low level because of difference in atmospheric pressure even slightly. That's how we changed water in the fish tank when I was kid, no pump needed.
Yes, we all understand the physics of it, but the point of this video was just to show a different method by applying air pressure instead of the old fashioned suction method, to get the gas flow started. I don't know if it will work on a JK because of the configuration and extreme length of the filler tube. Just getting a hose to the bottom of the tank is the biggest concern, unless it's small enough in diameter and fairly stiff. But like I said, it was worth a shot, because the OP was in a deep mess, literally.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well sandy flooded the jeep. I have a full tank that i could really use in our generator since i cant drive it. What is the easier way to drain the tank into gas jugs short of drilling a hole in the tank? Cant syphon it from the cap. Tried that already.
Were you ever able to get the gasoline out of your JK tank and into the generator, if so, how did you do it? Also, how are you doing? Much better, I hope!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts