Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a barricade trail force HD front bumper, but the reviews are saying the powder coating isn't good and it rust very fast. What are some cheap ways I can keep it from rusting? I was thinking I could buy a can of spray on Bedliner, does anyone know if that would work well?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought the barricade trail force extreme hd front bumper and barricade trail force rear bumper and tire carrier in March. Both bumpers and the tire carrier are having to be replaced under warranty due to rust issues. I live in the southeast and the front bumper has a rust hole in it and it's only been on 3 months. Thankfully extreme terrain has excellent customer service and is replacing both under warranty. I would either have it professionally bedlined or powder coated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Fluid film. I have cheap china flares that have almost no rust in over 2 years. Rust starts at the welds so i sprayed all around the inside seams. Every once in a while ill spray some on a rag and wipe the surfaces.
If i do get a rock chip or small area that does show rust, a spray of black paint will keep from spreading. ImageUploadedByAG Free1498475410.093031.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live on the ocean in Baja and found that the only effective rust preventive on steal gates, railings, ETC is to completely encase the metal in 2 part epoxy paint. If damaged repair or recoat every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Best type of coating, in my opinion, is line-x or rhino lining. I have rhino lining on my bumpers and sliders, and it's bulletproof.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
You said best?

Move to Arizona or Nevada.

I always get a kick out of those living in these states, saying "my Baracade bumpers have been fine. No rust."

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've had a cheap E-Autogrilles front bumper for almost two years now and frequently park within 50' of the ocean for several days at a time. I've gotten more rust on factory suspension components than I have on the bumper, and the little rust I get on the bumper is easily covered with a rattle can of Rustoleum textured black spray paint. I like that I can just mask off an area of the bumper, spray it, and it looks as good as new.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Just don't come for a vacation in the rust belt states in the Winter. Our Michigan roads with 4 months of moisture on them and road salt seems to eat Baracade bumpers for dinner.

Rattle can paint doesn't go on too well when the weather outside is below 40F and the bumper is wet from slush. Or maybe we just need a bigger rattle can? :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Rattle can paint doesn't go on too well when the weather outside is below 40F and the bumper is wet from slush. Or maybe we just need a bigger rattle can? :D
Consider it spring-time maintenance :)]

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
just out of curiosity - where does one go if they want to have the underbody sprayed with either fluid film, or that rusoleum stuff? an auto body shop? don't have a lift and i preferably don't want to crawl under and get that stuff all over me

·
Registered
691 Posts
just out of curiosity - where does one go if they want to have the underbody sprayed with either fluid film, or that rusoleum stuff? an auto body shop? don't have a lift and i preferably don't want to crawl under and get that stuff all over me

Pay the neighborhood kid twenty bucks. That would beat the hell out mowing lawns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
Preventing rust might prove really difficult, but for the rust you do get you can't beat this stuff, it's incredible:

Corroseal Rust Converter

I picked up a quart on Amazon for less than $20 and it only took a few ounces brushed on my axles and other suspension components that had rust all over them. Turned them into a really nice glossy black, looks better than new.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am confused if this fluid film stuff is only supposed to be used on the undercarriage, where it won't be seen, or if it's intended for use on high-gloss areas like the wheels? I've got painted black rims, and they have a few small dings where the paint has chipped, and there's some rust starting. Should I just dab on some touch up paint, or go for the fluid film?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts