Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been driving my new 2013 jeep wrangler unlimited for a month. When ever I'm on highway I don't feel safe driving it faster than 70 miles per hour. Also noticed the speedometer only goes up 100. They are obviously not meant to go fast. My question is how fast can I safely drive me jeep wrangler unlimitedon stock tires on the highway?

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Hey guys I've been driving my new 2013 jeep wrangler unlimited for a month. When ever I'm on highway I don't feel safe driving it faster than 70 miles per hour. Also noticed the speedometer only goes up 100. They are obviously not meant to go fast. My question is how fast can I safely drive me jeep wrangler unlimitedon stock tires on the highway?
I've had mine up to 113 or 114, I don't remember exactly. It felt just fine to me the whole time. Now that I've put 35" tires on 90 is about the max I feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Blew all the way from Omaha to Kansas City in my JKU last week going 85, and from Omaha back to Dallas yesterday going 80. Felt as safe as safe could be. In a JK...different story.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I started by going 85. To test its safety at that speed, I sent a long text message. After that went well, I repeated the experiment, only this time I also added eating a sandwhich while texting. I kept doing this, adding 5mph at a time. I was finally able to peg the stock speedo by doing this down a steep hill.

According to my scientific anaylisis, I predict the max safe speed of a JK to be about 140mph. I have my Jeep in the shop getting a supercharger and an extra 5 gears installed so I can still get 20mpg at a comfortable 130.

Can someone pass the baloney?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
While an F1 driver or maybe Valentino Rossi may feel just fine doing 120 in your Jeep, someone who just got their driving license may not feel comfortable doing over 65, what you feel is the right speed is subjective, it's what YOU FEEL is the top speed. The fact that the speedometer goes to 100 doesn't mean anything, most vehicle manufacturers expect you to take some responsibility and display a minimum of common sense when you get behind the wheel. The other side of me painfully reads your writing and wants to just say 'hammer down good buddy, you can do 150 easy'. "Darwin, your bus is leaving"

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Not sure what the speed limit is there, but I would guess a speeding ticket doing over 100 would not be cheap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Changing out the speedometer was one of my first mods. This one is electronic (fancy blue) and goes up to 200 mph. Much cheaper than doing a Hemi swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
I do 65 normally in my tj. I just feel anything faster than that just makes the jeep slightly unstable. My bigest fear is getting a tire blowout at that speed. I'm surprised the JK would have any issues at that speed but it helps to have tge tps sensor so you can slow down if it indicates your having a tire issue.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Under ideal conditions I think they're "safe" at higher speeds but I usually stay about 65-70, with 75 being max. I don't drive it to get from point A to B quickly; I enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not trying to be glib but the safest speed would be the posted speed limit. I guess that is just the ole LE Officer in me.
Over here, the posted speed is "safe" under optimal conditions. If conditions are bad such as fog, heavy rain, etc, and the speed limit is 65 and your going 65, you can still get a ticket due to unsafe conditions.

I would agree what others have said, if you don't feel safe at anything over 70-75, don't do it. IMHO safety is based on your skill level and road conditions. An Indy car can be considered "mostly safe" doing 200 with a trained driver. If I got in that car, it would probably be nowhere near as safe.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The speed limit.

Mine uses waaaaayyy too much gas over 70.

I had it up to 100 once with stock tires.

Its going to ride a little rough because of the solid axles and short wheel base, but i use the baseline or an old pos pickup truck. If it rides like your crappy 30 year old pickup, something is wrong. If it rides betfer than that, its fine. :)

Im not totally serious about that, but its going to be a little bit rough....

If its wandering alot you may have a front end problem, even though its brand new. Theres a reason they have a warranty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Drive no faster than the speed at which you feel comfortable. Public roads are not the place to explore the limits of the vehicle or the driver...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts