Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Know there are a bunch of different factors that come into play with insurance whether you are make of female or age or whatever but I am just trying to get a general feel for the amount of insurance paid. I have heard a bunch if times that it is expensive but I looked it up online and it says it's one of the least expensive to insure. Any thoughts? I'm 22 male. Never been in an accident in case someone knows a general number I would be paying

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I Know there are a bunch of different factors that come into play with insurance whether you are make of female or age or whatever but I am just trying to get a general feel for the amount of insurance paid. I have heard a bunch if times that it is expensive but I looked it up online and it says it's one of the least expensive to insure. Any thoughts? I'm 22 male. Never been in an accident in case someone knows a general number I would be paying
No idea. Call your insurance company and they can quote you a general range. You'll just have to know model and year and total cost.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
No idea. Call your insurance company and they can quote you a general range. You'll just have to know model and year and total cost.
Mine went down a bit from my TJ but I went from soft top to hard top with a security system. Like Kev suggested, call for a quote or you might be able to do it yourself online.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Jeeps are relatively cheap to insure.... But a 22 year old male...Ouch! You're going to be considered high risk even with a perfect driving record. Rates are going to be high no matter what you drive until you marry, turn 25(?), etc. If you're currently a student with good grades, that can help, too.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Our insurance went down both times we swapped a traditional vehicle for a jeep. And we have 100/300/100, $500 deductible (which is at zero now with Allstate's credit for safe driving reward stuff).

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The Wrangler is currently the cheapest vehicle to insure. Even at 22, you should be fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like the others said above, you are probably going to get shafted a bit because of age. I'm 44, and traded in a 2012 Chevy Sonic LT (1.4L turbo engine) for my new '14 JK. I was paying $180/mo through Allstate to insure the Sonic, and that was with the supposed discount for also having my homeowners insurance with them. When I went to compare prices for that car with other companies, they were pretty much the same.

Enter my new Jeep. Allstate quoted me $150/mo. I checked Progressive and I almost hit the floor when the online quote came back as $81.00/mo WITH BETTER COVERAGE. I shopped around a bit more: Nationwide came back with $92.00 and State Farm was pretty much the same with a little less coverage than Progressive. I called Progressive with the offer, and they counted my 12+ years with Allstate as being with them.

When I called to cancel my Allstate coverage, my agent magically came back with $94.00/mo and matched my Progressive coverage. "I really had it out with the underwriters on this one", my agent said. I told him no thanks.

I learned that the Sonic, which is a decent, solid little commuter car, is more to insure because of its small size (which insurance companies automatically deem as unsafe), and because of its turbo, which insurance firms consider high performance / sports car territory.

The entire insurance industry is a racket. My advice is to get quotes from 4-5 different companies and balance out the best rate and best coverage.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
As a geezer in the rural Oregon Outback with no issues my 08 Wrangler is costing about $1.15/day for $500/deductible. Pretty attractive price IMHO.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If you have a VIN call your agent you're currently with and they can give you an exact quote. There are so many variables even quoting a 22yo to a 22yo would give different results based on state and other factors.

In my case went from a loaded 2007 F150 to a 2011 Jeep and lowered my rates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I have price checked for my current jku or other vehicles. Progressive consistently comes up the lowest or among the lowest. I'm sure a lot of variables come into play. I am 37 with one traffic ticket in the past 10 years. For what it is worth Geico was nearly 50% higher last time I checked! Progressive was about $450 for six months for a $500 deductible. I'd start with Progressive and then call/email a handful of other insurers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello, 28 year old male here. I went from a 2007 Scion tC to a 2014 Wrangler and mine went down from about $367 every six months to $283 every six months with USAA. Not too bad!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I just traded in my 2003 Toyota Tacoma for my 2013 freedom edition JKU and my insurance actually went down from my almost 11 year old truck!!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I have Erie and am 43. I was paying about $851/year for full coverage, $50 ded for Comprehensive/$250 for Collision. Mine would have gone up $230 a year but I moved my Comp ded to $250 and Collision to $500 and will pay $881. I don't need to drive to work, though. I'm going from a 97 Pathfinder to a 14 Wrangler.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I traded in an 11 year old 350Z for a 1 day old JK and saw a dramatic reduction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As stated above, prices will be all over the board. Depending where you live, prices can vary significantly. Being a 22 yr old living in New Jersey, it's probably not going to be cheap. I'm 32 and pay $598 for a 6 month policy with full coverage. I'm in a fairly 'expensive' area. When I was 22 living in New York, my '96 tj cost me about $250 a month. Best bet would try to get on your parents policy

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Mine went down a bit from my TJ but I went from soft top to hard top with a security system. Like Kev suggested, call for a quote or you might be able to do it yourself online.
Me too. My 98 TJ was cheaper by only $50 every six months. I was shocked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Our insurance went down when we traded in our '11 Chrysler Town & Country (barf) on the '14 JKU.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts