Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing how we're on the cusp of buying the wrangler, I've noticed jeep has two options for headlights.. the stock halogen and the LEDs. But we're not even remotely interested in the LED except for fog light use. Also searching for the simple plug-n-play install bulbs if possible.

In your options what's a good replacement band of headlights for the wrangler?.. or is stock significant enough?.. My main concern is driving at night being that my wife has night blindness I want her to be safe when I'm unable to drive. So please d not try to convince use about the use of how better the LEDs are etc.. I'm just interested in stock or better/brighter headlights for the wrangler.

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Do a forum search for the Cibie lights. I know they come highly recommended on here. I did have all of the Amazon links for them as it was originally my plan to go with them. However I deleted the links after I ordered my 2017 with LEDs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I put these in just before last winter: https://www.quadratec.com/products/97000_107.htm

Gave me 15 - 20% more light then stock. They also dont have that stupid blue tint either.

Got a LED 26" light bar on my bumper for those times I need to light the road up due to dog walkers and deer at night.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why aren't you interested in the LED headlights? The stock ones suck and I think the LED ones would be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Seeing how we're on the cusp of buying the wrangler, I've noticed jeep has two options for headlights.. the stock halogen and the LEDs. But we're not even remotely interested in the LED except for fog light use. Also searching for the simple plug-n-play install bulbs if possible.

In your options what's a good replacement band of headlights for the wrangler?.. or is stock significant enough?.. My main concern is driving at night being that my wife has night blindness I want her to be safe when I'm unable to drive. So please d not try to convince use about the use of how better the LEDs are etc.. I'm just interested in stock or better/brighter headlights for the wrangler.

Thank you kindly.
Silverstar bulbs probably wont be adequate from what you describe. I have had great success with the Morimoto H1 HID kit on two prior vehicles. Check these out: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1-morimoto-elite.html

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I was going to ask the same question.
Live in canada in a cold climate. The LED's will ice up in the winter and the heated trucklights are 800$ cdn up here.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why aren't you interested in the LED headlights? The stock ones suck and I think the LED ones would be a great upgrade.
Just to follow up.. I've been following a couple of threads here which the owners have goes into detail about several issue which some jeepers have been experiencing. Being somewhat into using small LED lighting in our work, I've never noticed any sort of flickering. In our area.. we would rather have heated headlights. As stated bu the above posted who lives in Canada.

We all know that LED's if in a constant heated environment can shorten it's life expectancy, As I've been told by SuperBrightLEDs. Just a personal preference and I did say I wanted a secondary set of LED's as fog lights.

Thanks to all those offering links.. I'll be studying up on them very soon.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Cibie or Hella is what you want.

Then either use simple H13-to-H4 wire adapters (cheap and plug-n-play setup) or full H4 relay harness (brighter but more expensive)

I tried Cibie, Hella DOT and Hella e-code. Ended up with Hella e-code, Phillips H4 bulbs and relay harness.

Totally happy with my setup and not going to LED headlights anytime soon (and yes, I had JW Speaker's as well, ended up selling them).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cibie or Hella is what you want.

Then either use simple H13-to-H4 wire adapters (cheap and plug-n-play setup) or full H4 relay harness (brighter but more expensive)

I tried Cibie, Hella DOT and Hella e-code. Ended up with Hella e-code, Phillips H4 bulbs and relay harness.

Totally happy with my setup and not going to LED headlights anytime soon (and yes, I had JW Speaker's as well, ended up selling them).
Sorry to thread jack - but why did you switch from JW's to this Hella setup? I have JW's right now and I secretly think that I like how the stock headlights look (but not their performance).

·
Super Moderator
2,734 Posts
I wanted to try halogen replacements and went with LED KC Gravitys. I also bought a set of halogen KC driving lamps for back up encase they ice over or fail. I still wonder whether I should've tried halogen replacements first. Did KC amber fogs to be seen better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have tried Hella, Bosch and Cibie. IMO the Cibie's have a better spread at low beam than the other two. As far as reliability, the H4 technology has been around since the early 70's and the biggest difference is how much wattage you want. The higher wattage bulbs are going to burn out faster and when it does, replacement costs are significantly less. In my 09 I am running Cibie's with Hella 90-130 bulbs with a cheap H4 relay I got off of eBay 6 or 7 years ago. The contacts were beginning to stick last winter but it seems to be behaving now. Replacing it is on my things to do list. The relay sits next to the horn and I ran the main power lead to the positive alternator stud. Ran it the same way on my TJ. Same headlight bulb combo on her 15 JKUR except that I got the rallylights.com JK headlight adapter. Much easier to install than the relay kit. Highly recommended.

·
Super Moderator
2,734 Posts
You'r right @aqualungs just did a google they're only ece/e-code lamps.

I think that's why I waited and went LED. It May not be a huge problem for some but for others it is due to restrictions and inspections. Some people said they won't do it also because of auto insurance. Reason being they could blame an accident on your non-dot approved headlights if they noticed or wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts