Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in years, I'm getting a return from the IRS. It's enough to buy a locker for the rear diff of my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited.

First, is the rear the best place to put it?

Second, the local shops around here seem to like the elocker. It does seem to have the advantage of not needing a cable to operate the locker since the actuator is part of the cover (I think). So, you don't have to have an air supply or electric actuator to mount somewhere.

All that's required is to run an electrical cable from the diff to the switch in the Jeep.

One thing that bothers me about the elocker is it only has two spyder gears where an Ox locker has four. Is that something of significance?

Thanks!

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
The Eaton is a good unit. The D44 and D60 were weaker than other lockers (including Eaton's D30 locker) because of the design. They recently have released a stronger one with the 4 pin design.

As for location, people have different theories. It is best to put a selectable in the rear, if you are going to put one in the rear. Some people worry about locking the D30 because of the smaller (weaker) ring & pinion, which could be a problem when gearing deeper, like 5.13. I know a few people that ran the "weaker" ELocker when it was just a 2 pin and never grenaded it and they wheeled pretty hard.

If you are going to run 35" tires I would suggest re-gearing at the same time. To be worry free, the rear E Locker will suit you.

-Dan

·
Super Moderator
22,007 Posts
For the first time in years, I'm getting a return from the IRS. It's enough to buy a locker for the rear diff of my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited.

First, is the rear the best place to put it?

man are you opening a can of worms on that one and leaving yourself wide open....

Second, the local shops around here seem to like the elocker. It does seem to have the advantage of not needing a cable to operate the locker since the actuator is part of the cover (I think). So, you don't have to have an air supply or electric actuator to mount somewhere.

that is debatable lots of good lockers and what works great for some might not be for someone else.

All that's required is to run an electrical cable from the diff to the switch in the Jeep.

One thing that bothers me about the elocker is it only has two spyder gears where an Ox locker has four. Is that something of significance?

2 can be good 4 can be good and some would say 2 has less parts and some would say 4 has more parts so if you break one spider gear on an e locker you have broken half your spider gears and if break on on the Ox you only have broken 1/4 of your spider gears.Thanks!
Really there are many great choices. If you have no limited slip already I would definitely install the locker in the rear differential. I would however choose my words wisely on this.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really there are many great choices. If you have no limited slip already I would definitely install the locker in the rear differential. I would however choose my words wisely on this.
LOL - advise noted! :happyyes:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I recently installed the Eaton E-locker in the rear while re-gearing from 3.21 to 4.10. Have only used it once, but it worked flawlessly. My previous vehicle had a selectable rear-locker only and it worked splendedly as well for the type of wheeling I do (not much in the way of "rock crawling").

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have the E-Locker in the rear. Its the new 4 pin design. It works like a champ.

Just in case you have considered an auto locker for the rear, DONT. Auto lockers in the rear of 2012+ cause the tranny to go in to limp mode randomly.(turning and corners when the auto locker rachets between locked and unlocked)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elockers should be fully disengaged when they're locked out and there should not be any ratcheting. There has to be something wrong with the locker for it to ratchet when it's supposed to be locked out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Elockers should be fully disengaged when they're locked out and there should not be any ratcheting. There has to be something wrong with the locker for it to ratchet when it's supposed to be locked out.
I wasnt talking about the ELocker - its NOT an auto locker. I am talking about the Detroit or Yukon Grizzly Locker.

·
Registered
33,935 Posts
We have a bunch of guys in our club that had them added to there Jeeps and they all love it. No problems at all running 35".

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that's some good reports for the E locker.

Hey MrSig, that's a P229 in the pic, right? Fine, fine gun. I'm carrying a S&W M&P CORE right now because it's cut for a Delta Point and I really need to try that for a while and see how I do with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts