Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

I'm in the process of installing a Lukas dash cam and the plastic screw (in the attached pic) just spins and spins. I've removed the visor with the two torx bolts and it appears all I need to do now is remove this plastic screw to pull this piece of plastic off but it won't budge...any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's a plastic screw that screws into an expanding plastic retaining clip. Mine did the same thing. Just grab a pair of pliers and pull the "screw" out. If it's too far gone to reuse, just get a new on from the dealer. Can't be more than $1. Mine was still reusable and I've pulled it out and replaced it several times

·
Premium Member
6,910 Posts
I haven't looked at my fasteners but if it looks like something in the pic below just unscrew it while trying not to push on the screw head. Once it is about halfway out you can pull the whole fastener out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I hit that when I installed Mopar bluetooth, because I wanted to replicate factory installation exactly. Later when I did the dashcam I just stuffed the power under the rim of that plastic piece and called it good.

Anyway, I actually found if difficult to get the right size for the fasteners. But yes, Napa is probably the best bet. Better than Autozone/Kragen/Checkers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just stick a small flat blade screwdriver under the center post and PPP it out. 99% of the time they go right back in just put a Philips in the middle and push. If you break one just pick up a bag at the parts store they're cheap. Don't go to the dealer! I saw where somebody paid $5.00 a piece at a dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took this same thing out a few weeks ago when I installed my sPod. I found that if you apply NO pressure as you unscrew it, it will back out without any problem. Once it is mostly backed out, you can pull the entire thing out. The key is to apply NO pressure...just enough to make enough contact with the screw head to make it turn. Good luck...and, if this does not work for you...then what they ^^^^ said. 😀

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks gang - had to rip it out lol.

Anyone have pics how they routed wiring to the fuse block? I got a 12 volt wire out the hole that was stuffed with yellowish insulation into the engine bay but want to make it look as professional as possible. It looks like I'll need to run it through a hole that already exists to get it out of the way of the hood.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine is an automatic. Behind the pedals, in the firewall, there's a grommet that I cut to run my sPod wires thru. Worked great. Just look up the installation instructions for sPod, and that will show you where to run the wires. I would post pics...but, I didn't take any during the install.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Old thread I know, but I just went through this same thing, the screw wouldn't screw out and then started striping the X. I ended up just pulling the trim until the retainer snapped out, it didn't break. It's a worthless retaining clip anyways and isn't even needed, but I'll pop it back in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts