Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2014 Rubicon rear view mirror, there's this button. For the life of me I can't figure out what it's for? Anyone figured it out?

image-2028295148.jpg

·
Registered
640 Posts
Press the button and the chromatic dim function turns off. That said - the same question would be... why would you need to turn it off? I can think of situations where you would want to manually turn it on, but none where it is on that you want it off.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I think it's more of a gimmick. I never use that. Most older vehicles have the manual switch on the mirror that I also have never used.

I do have tinted windows and have pretty much always had tinted windows. Maybe if you have clear windows and eyes are sensitive to light, you might use it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think it's more of a gimmick. I never use that. Most older vehicles have the manual switch on the mirror that I also have never used.

I do have tinted windows and have pretty much always had tinted windows. Maybe if you have clear windows and eyes are sensitive to light, you might use it.
This seems like a perfect example of 'your mileage may vary'. My '13 JKU is my first vehicle that had anything other than the manual angle change on the rearview mirror - and I use the night mode in every vehicle I drive every time I drive at night. I am happy with the chromatic dim - it does change the color of what you see, but it works well in my opinion. The question is - why ever turn it off?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
This seems like a perfect example of 'your mileage may vary'. My '13 JKU is my first vehicle that had anything other than the manual angle change on the rearview mirror - and I use it every time I drive at night. I am happy with the chromatic dim - it does change the color of what you see, but it works well in my opinion. The question is - why ever turn it off?
Honestly, I'll have to check if mine is on or off next time I'm in it. I have never hit the button, but haven't ever been bothered by lights in back of me in any vehicle. I do have a 5 year old that likes to hit buttons though. He's probably hit the button. :D Mine is lifted 4" on 35's, so that might be part of why I haven't noticed any lights.

I don't go wheeling at night much and don't have any aftermarket lights. Last time I went, I got in front of the guy with the most lights so he would light up the trail for me. Having him behind me with all of his lights on didn't bother me in the least. (probably over $1K in lights) So yeah, ymmv.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I spent a an hour trying to figure out what this was too. Then I wondered how come the other "light" wouldn't come on. I figured it out. From the manual (that DVD that came with your Jeep works wonders ;)):

This mirror automatically adjusts for headlight glare from vehicles behind you. You can turn the feature on or off by pressing the button at the base of the mirror. A light to the left of the button will illuminate to indicate when the dimming feature is activated. The sensor to the right of the button does not illuminate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys(and girls?). I'll check it out tonight when I go for a drive. I can't see ever needing to use this? Especially after I get my 4.5 lift and 37's put on

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys(and girls?). I'll check it out tonight when I go for a drive. I can't see ever needing to use this? Especially after I get my 4.5 lift and 37's put on
You will................. We have a 2013 2 door Rubi with 37's and once in a while some yahoo in a chevy 4x4 that does not know how to adjust their headlights on their 10" city 4x4 lifted truck....those are the lights that will hit your rear view mirror BUT you will not even know it before that super duper Jeep self adjusting mirror already did the thinking for you and adjusted itself! Thank Jeep.:blunt:

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
The ability to turn off the auto dim can be helpful when reversing at night in some vehicles. Mostly those that don't have a spare blocking the rear view.

In my last truck it was very helpful because the driver side mirror also dimmed with the rear view. And I always reversed into my garage.

That being said, I have never turned it off in my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

You also ride a lot higher than the average car, so from a Jeep you have a much better angle on headlights behind you to avoid being blinded. My other car is low enough that a Ranger's lights are right in my eyes...I flip that mirror to the dim setting all the time. In the Jeep, only a handful of times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Only time I've had to turn it off was on a sunny day with the top off, mirror does get dark from the sunlight beating on it. That's been my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts