Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 6cyl YJ with a manual transmission. It shifts flawlessly and the clutch feels great until it has been driven for awhile. After coming to a stop, it is tough to put it into either 1st or 2nd gear. I have to put it into 3rd or 4th, then slip it into 1st. Can this be corrected by changing out the tranny fluid to the better stuff or is it a synchro issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
check the clutch fluid in the clutch master slave cylinder. Mine was leaking and i had to replace it. wasn't hard tho

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
i have driven a manual for over 15 years and i remember when i first learned to drive one, my dad always told me that when at a stop and shifting from neutral into first, you should always press the clutch in, shift into second, then go to first before taking off. i have no idea why......(maybe something his dad told him to do back in the 40's?)......anyway, i have done this forever since and have never had a problem getting into first. no grind. i'm not saying this is tride and true method for anything, but i can say that i have never had a problem shifting into any gears even on a less than spectacular clutch.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I am thinking that mine is a synchro issue because it only happens in first and second. It shifts perfectly into any other gear.

kj 92yj i have driven a manual for over 15 years and i remember when i first learned to drive one, my dad always told me that when at a stop and shifting from neutral into first, you should always press the clutch in, shift into second, then go to first before taking off.
My Dad used to tell me the same thing. I can assure you that, that is not my issue. This thing is down right tough to put into either first or second once it warms up. I am not equipped enough to change out synchros so unfortunately I have to pay to have it done. Does anyone know what I should expect cost wise to have this fixed?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
try going to Mopar fluid. It fixed my 1st/second issues.

of course we have 2 different transmissions...but hell if it works you just saved 1k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read somewhere that Mopar does not make a fluid for the AX15 Transmission anymore. I am going to try Valvoline Synchromesh. I plan to do the fluid change this Sunday. I will post my results once it is finished. I also read that it is a good idea before refilling to do a flush using kerosene. Is this true??

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Does it help if you pump the clutch b4 sliding into 1st? If so its your master cylinder.

I'd like to know about the kerosene thing. I would think brake cleaner would be a better choice but use someone else's opinion. I'm looking to do a flush here soon as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it help if you pump the clutch b4 sliding into 1st? If so its your master cylinder.

I'd like to know about the kerosene thing. I would think brake cleaner would be a better choice but use someone else's opinion. I'm looking to do a flush here soon as well.
I read somewhere that after draining the old fluid, you should fill the tranny with about 1 qt of kerosene, start the jeep, and shift through the gears. After it has been running for 1 minute, drain all kerosene out and fill with new fluid. Do not drive it with the Kerosene, of course!! I might just do a fluid change on Sunday and do a flush once I find out the proper way to do it!

I am sure that synthetic is used in the AX15. I am leaning towards getting Valvoline Synchromesh.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I read somewhere that after draining the old fluid, you should fill the tranny with about 1 qt of kerosene, start the jeep, and shift through the gears. After it has been running for 1 minute, drain all kerosene out and fill with new fluid. Do not drive it with the Kerosene, of course!! I might just do a fluid change on Sunday and do a flush once I find out the proper way to do it!

I am sure that synthetic is used in the AX15. I am leaning towards getting Valvoline Synchromesh.
I wouldn't worry about flushing it out with kerosene if you plan on changing the snychros. If you do it yourself then once the tranny is cracked you can clean it that way, if you take it to a shop then they will do it...I think mine was around 400 dollars.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i have driven a manual for over 15 years and i remember when i first learned to drive one, my dad always told me that when at a stop and shifting from neutral into first, you should always press the clutch in, shift into second, then go to first before taking off. i have no idea why......(maybe something his dad told him to do back in the 40's?)......anyway, i have done this forever since and have never had a problem getting into first. no grind. i'm not saying this is tride and true method for anything, but i can say that i have never had a problem shifting into any gears even on a less than spectacular clutch.....

Shifting into second before 1st or reverse does a static alignment, for lack of a better term, of the gears. If you ever have difficulty shifting into a gear while stopped. Shifting into second will make it drop right in.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
If im not mistaken (but i might be) isn't the AX15 supposed to be fed synthetic 75w90?
75w90... yes.....Synthetic ....no. There wasn't much in the way of synthetic anything around when they were producing YJ's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts