Commercial Member
1,550 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
That's what happens to adjustable control arms up north where they use salt and calcium on the roads. No matter what you put on them it washes off ..

Only solution: set them, make sure they are correct, then weld them up.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Looks like the threaded disintegrated. Is that galvonic corrosion or just rust? With enough wiggle room, I would see the threads jumping themselves out...

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Heres the inside
it's incredible how damaging salt and corrosives can be to steel! We will go up in the mountains in Colorado and come across old mining towns and claims and there will be huge steel structures in place that I've been standing for over a century. Then you see something like this exposed to the elements over just a decade and it's toast.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's incredible how damaging salt and corrosives can be to steel! We will go up in the mountains in Colorado and come across old mining towns and claims and there will be huge steel structures in place that I've been standing for over a century. Then you see something like this exposed to the elements over just a decade and it's toast.
I have copper based anti-sieze all inside the arms and outside loaded with Fluid Film. Only the hard to reach areas are slightly corroded.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Unfortunately even that does not work up north here. I use copper coat and it still doesn't stop corrosion from salt and calcium.

Spray undercoating oils such as KROWN help but after 5years they are still toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts