Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2017 Jeep Sport 4 door that came with some Alpine speakers (not sure if that's standard or not?) but very basic stereo system. AM/FM radio, CD, and aux in.

I'm looking for Sirius radio, bluetooth music from my phone, maybe a nav system?

I was looking at this one:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/96087_211X_PG.htm

Thoughts?

Thanks guys,
Stephanie

·
Registered
156 Posts
That looks expensive...

The alpine system is an upgrade option, includes an amp & sub & is generally considered a good system... Changing the headunit can improve sound quality... Many seem to go for one that uses Android Auto and thus comes with Google Maps that works off your phone.

I chose the Pioneer 4200NEX with a Maestro installation kit for about 30% of the price you are looking at for the system linked above.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm very happy with my Kenwood 893s, which has Garmin Nav, Bluetooth, FM HD, USBs, CDs (CDs?), Apple and Android Car Play and DVDs (if parked--why anyone would want that I don't know). It's also Sirius capable, but the sound quality of Sirius is so bad compared to everything else that I didn't bother.

Great HU. Fully integrated with my EVIS. Not cheap, though.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Pioneer AVHx2700BS along with the tweeter mod, the speaker mod and the sub mod. Sounds better than Bose system that was in the Traverse LTZ that we traded to get it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would choose the Pioneer 8200 NEX over this radio. In fact that is what I run and it is very good. Here is a comparison.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZmASoeDRgMn/compare_1308200NEX_500W957H/Pioneer-AVIC-8200NEX-vs-Alpine-INE-W957HD.html
^^^ Did you replace your upgraded Alpine system's HU with the Pioneer HU? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, is this something I could do or do you have to have an installer do this?

Moreover, if this is the case, is it a significant improvement/worth the price?

Going by 1-10 scale, what is your assessment/improvement over the Alpine HU?

Looking for your honest opinion...

TIA/B

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Trying to understand this a little more. Can you explain?
OE HU pre-amp voltage output is abysmal maybe 1-2 volts.

Think of it as you are trying to use a pressure washer and you have three hoses
a fire hose, a garden hose and a straw. You are going to want to hook up the fire hose to your PW. Pre-amp output voltage is like that. You are trying to send attenuated signal to your amp and on to your speakers.
Doesn't work (well) increases distortion, blurs detail, basically it sounds like crap.
4 Full volts isn't a linear increase it's exponential Huge increase over 1-2 volts.

So, not only are internal EQ algorithms a factor BUT the output is a huge improvement when going to an AM HU.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
^^^ Did you replace your upgraded Alpine system's HU with the Pioneer HU? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, is this something I could do or do you have to have an installer do this?

TIA/B
I would say it is a major improvement over the stock HU, 7-8. Not only in sound quality but also in every other category. Of course I have moved well past the stock system, as it is gone and actually prefer it over my home system. Now if the sub I want would only get released.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
OE HU pre-amp voltage output is abysmal maybe 1-2 volts.

Think of it as you are trying to use a pressure washer and you have three hoses
a fire hose, a garden hose and a straw. You are going to want to hook up the fire hose to your PW. Pre-amp output voltage is like that. You are trying to send attenuated signal to your amp and on to your speakers.
Doesn't work (well) increases distortion, blurs detail, basically it sounds like crap.
4 Full volts isn't a linear increase it's exponential Huge increase over 1-2 volts.

So, not only are internal EQ algorithms a factor BUT the output is a huge improvement when going to an AM HU.
I didn't think the OE HU had pre-amp outs is why I ask.

The problem I have with AM HU "pre" outs is that they're an unbalanced output and thus more susceptible to noise being introduced on the input to the amp. They used to be 1Vrms, and this is where 4Vrms helps via S/N ratios. The other thing is that 4V is not typically a "pre-amp" out in the the original sense of the term. You typically need the audio signal to go through an amp stage to get a 4V level signal but I haven't looked at the latest DAC designs. Most DACs I looked at in the past produced up to 1Vrms, thus the reason I feel it isn't a "pre" amp output.

It 's really not exponentially huge. 4V vs 2V is a 6dB gain which is just twice as much signal. 1V vs 4V is +12dB. The other thing that needs to be taken into consideration, is that the higher the input signal level is on the amp side, the more attenuation that needs to be used, and the more attenuation used equals more noise introduced.

I'm sure it all works, I'm just seeing as many pitfalls as well as benefits when I start thinking along the lines of an audio purist in reducing the number of gain stages of the audio signal.

I've designed Mark Levinson, OE audio systems for Lexus in the past. So I'm somewhat familiar with some of this stuff. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Then you know if it is 1 volt in reality to 4 volts that would be approx a 300% increase in amplifier power.
Bottom line an AM HU with a full 4 volts is one very important increase in performance. There are many other factors as well.
I have a Levinson Home system and am also somewhat familiar with audio.

Which is why I don't usually discuss it anymore.:)

Have fun.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

TIA/B
The upgraded Alpine system is just amp and speakers plus subwoofer. There is no stock or upgraded Alpine head unit. If you have the patience and some automotive electrical skills, you could do the install yourself. Many members here have done so. Keep in mind that you'll need an interface module (PAC or Maestro) if you want to retain you steering wheel controls. If this sounds intimidating, you might want to find a good install shop and have them do the install. It's worth the expense. I've done many installs myself, but had a shop do this install as I had no time or patience this go around.

As you'll see above, I seconded the Pioneer AVIC-8200/8201NEX. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate it as a 7 over any stock head unit. This is my personal opinion and is based on my speaker setup and the fact that I'm not using the head unit with an external amp.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Then you know if it is 1 volt in reality to 4 volts that would be approx a 300% increase in amplifier power.
Bottom line an AM HU with a full 4 volts is one very important increase in performance. There are many other factors as well.
I have a Levinson Home system and am also somewhat familiar with audio.

Which is why I don't usually discuss it anymore.:)

Have fun.
I just think you're trying to compare apples to oranges where you've drawn an incorrect assumption conclusion. Like I said, the OE radio doesn't have pre-amp outputs and in most instances a standard OEM radio will output up to 10Vrms from it's non pre-amped outputs. So that's the reason why I questioned your original 4Volts to 1Volts conclusion. It just didn't make any logical sense to me.

I don't usually talk audio stuff on Jeep forums as well. There's too many chest thumpers that like to talk out their behinds without any real insight behind what they're saying. I just try to let them believe what they want to believe since they've already concluded they're an expert and know a lot more than the rest of us. I was just trying to understand what you were trying to say because it didn't make any sense to me.....and honestly, it still doesn't make any sense. ;)

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The upgraded Alpine system is just speakers. There is no stock or upgraded Alpine head unit.
This is often misunderstood. When the system is an OEM branded audio system, it usually includes an external amplifier which often has higher output and more output channels than the head unit and additionally the speakers as well are the branded name speakers.

The radio, may or may not be an Alpine radio. It's like buying a Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers....and not changing the radio. It may be branded as a Rockford "Audio system".

Like I mentioned, I designed Levinson systems for Lexus, I have a little more insight than most of what goes into an OEM branded audio option. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I just think you're trying to compare apples to oranges where you've drawn an incorrect assumption conclusion. Like I said, the OE radio doesn't have pre-amp outputs and in most instances a standard OEM radio will output up to 10Vrms from it's non pre-amped outputs. So that's the reason why I questioned your original 4Volts to 1Volts conclusion. It just didn't make any logical sense to me.

I don't usually talk audio stuff on Jeep forums as well. There's too many chest thumpers that like to talk out their behinds without any real insight behind what they're saying. I just try to let them believe what they want to believe since they've already concluded they're an expert and know a lot more than the rest of us. I was just trying to understand what you were trying to say because it didn't make any sense to me.....and honestly, it still doesn't make any sense. ;)
That's fine. Agree to "not understand" eithers point and be done with it.

The Audio hobby burned me out years ago, not because of the music but because of the audiophiles.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The radio, may or may not be an Alpine radio. It's like buying a Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers....and not changing the radio. It may be branded as a Rockford "Audio system".
The OEM head units in the Wrangler, even with the Alpine upgrade, are NOT Alpine branded.

The different generations of MyGIG radios were manufactured by Harman Becker and Mitsubishi Electric. They've been used in non-Chrysler/FCA vehicles as well.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The OEM head units in the Wrangler, even with the Alpine upgrade, are NOT Alpine branded.

The different generations of MyGIG radios were manufactured by Harman Becker and Mitsubishi Electric. They've been used in non-Chrysler/FCA vehicles as well.
Yes, I'm well aware of this. I didn't work on Chrysler vehicles so I'm not exactly sure who supplies their entire radio line up but if you know who makes ML, then you know one of the head units supplied doesn't fall too far from that same tree. I believe Mitsubishi may supply the 130 radio, HB may supply the 730. I however, believe Alpine may make the 430. Panasonic is also a radio supplier for FCA. Just saying, because we would often get calls from people because their CD player wasn't working in their Lexus and the assumption was often made, that because the radio had our logo on it since it had a ML audio system in it, that we made the radio. :D

I was just pointing out, that it's more than just speakers that typically makes a branded audio system and doesn't typically include the actual head unit as part of that branding even if that radio has a branding logo on the outside of it. For example, on the Lexus systems I worked on, the radio would have a ML logo on it but we did not make the radio. It was typically made by Pioneer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts