Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Depending on size of amp, you might be able to mount it under the steering column. That's what I did, but it was a tight fit to clear the brake pedal
I am running a 5ch Kenwood Execlon mounted under the rear seat. No problems. I have seen several write ups on amp mounts in the dash, which would be great for space.

·
Registered
848 Posts
•Four type R alpine speakers (2 4x6 + 2 6.5) •Two Rockford phosgate 300w amps
•Alpine stereo (forgot what kind)
•Two 10" shallow mounted Pioneer subs
It is LOUD :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have polks in my factory sound bar without an amp and even though i stuffed them they still vibrarate inside the sound bar..what's the best way to not have them vibrate and create that awful feedback sound?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have Polk 5.25 components in the front, Polk 5.25 in the sound bar powered by a Fosgate PBR 300x4 and a Polk 8" sub in the center console powered by the Fosgate PBR300x1 at 2 ohms. I am using a Pioneer head unit with 3 sets of preamps. I had to cut the face off the original sub box and then bolted MDF to the fron and cut out the plastic on the console to fit. It turned out nice and adds the bottom end to be able to hear it at 70 on the highway with the top down. The amps were cheap and they were easy to stash up high in the dash. I used the high pass filter at 80hz for the 4 surround speakers and it keeps them from bottoming out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a set of brand new DB 6501 6.5 component sets Im looking to unload for $125.00 + shipping. I took them out to measure and decided against cutting my sound bar and just ordered the factory size 4" MM coaxial Polks instead. I originally was going DB series but my father in-law works for Polk Audio and got me the MM series factory replacements for my rig. And just a small hint. Instead of going 5.25 in the dash. If you do a 4x6 component plate in there you can then use a baffle behind it with out much if any modifications and put a amp to it you will get incredible sound. The 5.25 are excellent as well but some times the adaptation plates and modifications can cause some rattling in the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got 2 VDP 300w wedges behind the front seats that have 2 6" on the bottom and 2 small tweeters on the top. In the front dash I got 2 Sony 250w speakers. Under the back seat I got an Alpine 300w amp and all of that's powered by a Sony head unit that uses bluetooth and I changed the equalizer to custom to bring the lost bass back and on the fader put +6 to the rear because they hit pretty good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a Sony head unit linked up to some home theater speakers in the trunk. Cheap and louder than any wind even with my soft top.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a set of brand new DB 6501 6.5 component sets Im looking to unload for $125.00 + shipping. I took them out to measure and decided against cutting my sound bar and just ordered the factory size 4" MM coaxial Polks instead. I originally was going DB series but my father in-law works for Polk Audio and got me the MM series factory replacements for my rig. And just a small hint. Instead of going 5.25 in the dash. If you do a 4x6 component plate in there you can then use a baffle behind it with out much if any modifications and put a amp to it you will get incredible sound. The 5.25 are excellent as well but some times the adaptation plates and modifications can cause some rattling in the dash.
I used the Nalin adapters and boom mats in the front and bought some small rubber washers to make sure there was no rattle in mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where has everyone been putting their amps? Buddy of mine said under the seat but will that let it breath enough, heat wise? First time touching this stuff
Under the seat is good unless you will ever get it wet or muddy down there. I installed a speaker amp in my center console on my last Jeep, worked out pretty well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Under the seat is good unless you will ever get it wet or muddy down there. I installed a speaker amp in my center console on my last Jeep, worked out pretty well.
Both of mind are tucked up under the passenger side glove box

·
Registered
131 Posts
That will definitely upgrade your sound quality. Don't forget to get the speaker adaptor for the fronts and be sure you pay attention to the polarity of the speaker wires. Adding an amp will further improve sound quality and also allow the speakers to sound louder without distortion. (It does more but that's the simple answer)
As for polarity, which wire is the + and which is the - in the front and on the sound bar. Thanks for the help.:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
As for polarity, which wire is the + and which is the - in the front and on the sound bar. Thanks for the help.:)
Depends on model and year. Tons of diagrams out there for jeeps, and in my research one diagram would be different from the next one. iirc the major differences were the front left and the rear right wires would be different from one diagram to another.

Even if you know the polarity of the installed speakers, that does not guarantee that they were previously wired correctly, but you have to start somewhere :happyyes:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Depends on model and year. Tons of diagrams out there for jeeps, and in my research one diagram would be different from the next one. iirc the major differences were the front left and the rear right wires would be different from one diagram to another.

Even if you know the polarity of the installed speakers, that does not guarantee that they were previously wired correctly, but you have to start somewhere :happyyes:
Thanks for the information:) I forgot I bought the service Manuel about a year ago for my 05 and looked at the diagram, You are right! The color code was different from my jeep. Lucky the - was the same as the diagram.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
131 Posts
JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair) by JBL Amazon.com: JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

JBL GTO528 5.25-Inch 2-Way Loudspeaker (pair) by JBL Amazon.com: JBL GTO528 5.25-Inch 2-Way Loudspeaker (pair): Car Electronics

4x6 to 5.25" Jeep 1997-2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LJ TJ Front Dash Aftermarket Speaker Adapter by CIP Amazon.com: 4x6 to 5.25" Jeep 1997-2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LJ TJ Front Dash Aftermarket Speaker Adapter: Car Electronics
I just put these in my jeep with a new sub woofer in the console. Sounds great!:iamhappy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Selecting a sound system in an LJ is not easy. My biggest problem was to find a balance between quality and what I feel like leaving in a parking lot with the top down.

I left the Panasonic front speakers from the previous owner, they sound OK. Roll bar speakers were busted and replaced with Polk marine rated 5". The head unit I selected was a Jensen with a 7" motorized TSD plus nav and XM module. Both modules are put high up in the dash. The Jensen has a rear USB so my iPod or iPhone go in the glove box. The mic for the Bluetooth is next to the instrument cluster (instead of the usual "a-beam" position) so the windshield can still be folded.

Bass is taken care of by an 8" Kicker Hideaway under the rear seat. It is just stuck under there so I can remove it when need be. The kicker is fed from the low level sub output from the Jensen and gets juice directly from the battery.

Definitely not a high end system, but I can live with it getting stolen and start from scratch if that happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well if someone is that low rent to steal my shit. Then so be it. I didnt pay alot for my head unit. If they want to go through the trouble of stealing my sound bar for some 4" coaxial speakers...more power to you

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
How To Tell Polarity

It's actually quite easy. Just look behind the speaker on the terminal prongs. The Polarity charge is normally written there. Then, just trace that wire, which is color coded, to your HU.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not to hijack, but I have a question. My HU has a USB port. Will it read a flash drive or does it have to be a powered device, i.e. MP3 player?

41 - 60 of 124 Posts