Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it typical to feel a bit of "drag" after installation? I have noticed that the rpms of certain speeds have changed and the Jeep slows faster than before when not under power. I know that thet footprint of the jeep has widened and the tires are able to catch more air resistance. I'm just curious if this is a normal occurrence for it to be noticable.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The condition where you will have additional drag is when turning. The spacers change the scrub radius. That's is why it is not the best idea to use spacers just to widen the stance.

·
Retired Moderator
100,670 Posts
the condition where you will have additional drag is when turning. the spacers change the scrub radius. that's is why it is not the best idea to use spacers just to widen the stance.
x2!!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've decided the spacers are coming off and I am going with properly backspaced wheels. I'm gonna be lifting and going larger tires soon and was just trying to get all the small stuff out of the way (clearance issues) with the stock Willys wheels. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
What is the difference between the scrub radius caused by spacers and the scrub radius caused by deeper backspacing?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
What is the difference between the scrub radius caused by spacers and the scrub radius caused by deeper backspacing?
Subscribed to hear this answer!

·
Registered
692 Posts
None, there is no difference.
Tire tread to steering kingpin angle is measured the same no matter how the 'offset' is obtained. Offset is offset, regardless of method.
Alterations to scrub radius will influence vehicle 'drag' whether turning or heading straight.
The dynamics of scrub radius 'drag' are a large contributor to the severity & perpetuation of Death Wobble at speed.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Did you have an alignment done after the spacers were added? By widening the track, you have increased any toe in/out that may have existed before the spacers. This could lead to increased drag as well. Even if you go to different rims, it's still a good idea to get a new alignment done.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the spacers off tonight and I did notice the jeep feels a little more "free" now. I really don't know if the feeling was in my head or not.

I wasn't aware that spacers could knock the jeep out of alignment? Anymore input would be appreciated.

The "drag" I speak of is similar to what I would say hauling a small trailer would feel like or you are driving in a pretty gusty headwind. I felt no difference in turning and actually thought the jeep felt more stable.

I REALLY want to keep my Willys wheels, I'd be pretty bummed if i needed to change to aftermarket wheels.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Wider tires feel different since your stance changes. Even in larger vehicles. Just increased tire sizes on my Suburban 2500 with 8.1L engine. Went an inch taller and an inch wider and could even feel it there. It's just what happens when you widen stance.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think Kjeeper is right, adding a spacer should not affect alignment... unless you really messed something up during install...

The wider stance explains your feeling of more stability in windy conditions. I also understand how you could feel extra drag when turning, but I can't figure out why you would feel more drag while going straight unless you're feeling the effects of air resistance from the tires getting out past the fenders a little? You mentioned a headwind... maybe it was just really windy after you put them on and you weren't used to driving the proverbial brick in the wind?

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Spaces add a fair bit of weight at the hubs. I notice less shock coming through the steering wheel when I hit a pothole after removing the spacers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I noticed no difference after installing 1.5 Spidertrax spacers except stability felt better. I am using stock 255 70 18 rubber and rims for now. Recently installed AEV 2" spacer lift, no diff in handling there either.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Spaces add a fair bit of weight at the hubs. I notice less shock coming through the steering wheel when I hit a pothole after removing the spacers.
How much do the spacers weigh? I didn't think they were more than like 4# each?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts