Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I tried to use search via mobile and it doesn't work so was hoping someone has some info or experience. I want to be able to put some old style military o CJ wheels on my JK and obviously the lug patterns are different. On my last jk the dealer had put a wheel package on that I ordered so I dont know the exact back spacing until I hear back from them but they did seem to think that spacers would put stress on parts that aren't designed for them and said they were a bad idea. Does that also go for adapters? I found some adapters to change the lug pattern but it says they are aluminum and that doesn't seem like it would be very robust for that application. Shouldn't they be stainless? So are adapters a bad idea and should I just find wheels that are the same pattern?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am running RedRock aluminum 1.5" adapters (spacers if you will) with the stock wheels. If you already have after market wheels with a proper back spacing, then adding additional width may cause you some issues.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Any kind of adapters or wheel spacers that move the wheel further out will put additional stress on your components. They aren't inherently dangerous, but I usually advise against it if at all possible. That said, putting over sized tires on Jeeps can also adds to stress and fatigue of components but we all do it anyways. It's your Jeep and if you want CJ wheels, you want CJ wheels. If you're going to a 15" wheel some of them fit but many don't have the appropriate backspacing to clear the brake calipers, just FYI. If you do pull the trigger on CJ wheels, I would have them test fit if nobody else has done it before you to say for sure if they'll fit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a guy on here that has a great setup (not sure if they are CJ wheels or not and I'm not set on CJ specific. I just want as close to a military look as I can get. If I could retro a set of HMMV wheels on I would but I don't think that will work. uS wheel has a decent set of stealth crawler but not my ideal. The poster on here who has a wheels I love is ratfinkharley. (I sent him a pm so hopefully he replies) if anyone knows his setup I'd appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
First - yes you do have a problem with the lug spacing on the CJ - the information I have is that it is 5 x 5.5 meaning the center of the lugs is a 5 1/2" circle. The JK at 5 x 5 is at least closer than the YJ/TJ which is 5 x 4.5.

Second - the CJ and most vehicles of that era had negative offset, meaning that the mounting surface of the wheel was closer to the inside of the wheel than to the outside of the wheel. The YJ and all subsequent Wranglers have positive offset which means that the mounting surface of the wheel is closer to the outside (road side) of the wheel than to the inside.

If you mount the adapter to your hubs and then put the CJ wheels on they will really stick out. From the outside the outer surface of a negative offset wheel looks almost flush with the outside rim - YJ/TJ/JK all look like this. The CJ with it's negative offset had a deep inset look to the center of the wheel.

This came about for a good reason, in designing the YJ, Jeep wanted to increase the stability of the Wrangler over the CJ (they were getting hammered over the "rollover problem" in the press), so they lowered the vehicle and widened the frame which required longer axles. To avoid the wheels sticking so far out, they changed to negative offset wheel which at that point were most commonly found on front wheel drive cars. This gave room for the hubs to be further into the wheel. To keep people from mixing up the CJ/YJ wheels they changed the lug pattern as well. They reduced the diameter of the lug spacing circle which required reducing the center hole size and they as a result also eliminated the manual hubs.

Yes, you can mount the spacers and then you can mount the "deep dish" CJ wheels, but you will have wheels sticking further out (I would estimate at least 5" or more) and this will lengthen the moment arm of force on the wheel bearings. The result will be adverse wear on the bearings and you could upset the suspension settings and that in turn will affect how it turns and how it behaves.

This is the long answer instead of the short - "it's a bad idea". Your best bet is to go with wheels specifically designed for the JK. If you are going oversized tires that may rub, a small spacer can be used but it will only cause a small adverse force.

Stock CJ wheels of the CJ-5 and CJ-7 era where basically a white spoke wheel, not very military looking. The original wheels on the MB were negative offset, but will not fit over the brake calipers. One reason for the bigger wheels on the JK is bigger brakes to stop a heavier vehicle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can get HMMV wheels re-centered. You can change the offset and the lug pattern. They are extremely heavy though. There are 2 versions, 12 bolt and 24 bolt. This refers to the number of bolts holding the two wheel halves together. I know that the 24 bolt version with a 37" MTR weighs over 160lbs. They also require a 16.5 tire, which is not common or desirable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts