Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14' Rubicon unlimited. Changed wheels which are 4.5" back space and 17x9". Put the original tires 255-75-17 back on the new wheels. Drove decent but noticed not as darty which is fine by me. However, want to make sure I dont wear out the tires prematurely. Should I look at an alignment?

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you didn't make any changes other than the wheels, your alignment should not have been affected. I would be more concerned that you are running your tires on wheels that are .50" wider than they're designed for. Also, did you remove the rotor retaining rings from the studs so your wheels sit flush against the rotor hub face?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires are able to run 9" and lose some sidewall but still has slight tire bulge. I wouldn't trust the bead if you air them down on a real off road trail.

Don't know on the retaining rings. I would have to check. Had discount tire mount the wheels and swap tires.

Psi is 39

The new wheels offset put the tires out a little wider than stock. Not sure exactly how much but that's why I wonder if it will need alignment. Once these wear out ill upgrade to small lift and 35s which is why I got these wheels.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Kjeeper10 - they are the stock 32's. I agree the psi seems high, but based on the wider wheel than design spec for the tire, should help with keeping the bead seated.

Those tires specify a max wheel width of 8.5". You will probably be fine at 9", I'm just a by the book guy, especially when it comes to tires. Ford didn't think dropping the air pressure a couple psi on Firestone tires for their Explorers would be a big deal until the tires started delaminating.

Would be worthwhile to pull the wheels and check for the rotor clips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the chalk test. That's prob too much PSI which will cause poor handling. We're not saying run 25 psi. Run a chalk line across the tire and see how it wears. In the middle means there's too much air.
That is a good idea. Going to try that.

The tires from the factory were at 40psi. When the tires were changed the computer hand an error stating tire pressure is under 37psi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts