Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm finally looking to get bigger tires to replace the stock 18's for my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 door. I'm looking for that aggressive wider look and want all black or mostly black wheels, I don't think I want to go larger than 33's as I'm not ready to make extensive changes to the Jeep just yet either. The Jeep is also my daily driver but I do drive on rough roads, some with lots of rocks and potholes and sometimes it's quite muddy, but mudding is not my primary objective - but not something that wouldn't happen either. So I'm looking for a good combo that's inexpensive, not cheap just not overly expensive either.

I'm also looking for a place to get good deals on them in Canada or even better around the Peterborough, Ontario area.

Vendor
Hi,

I'm finally looking to get bigger tires to replace the stock 18's for my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 door. I'm looking for that aggressive wider look and want all black or mostly black wheels, I don't think I want to go larger than 33's as I'm not ready to make extensive changes to the Jeep just yet either. The Jeep is also my daily driver but I do drive on rough roads, some with lots of rocks and potholes and sometimes it's quite muddy, but mudding is not my primary objective - but not something that wouldn't happen either. So I'm looking for a good combo that's inexpensive, not cheap just not overly expensive either.

I'm also looking for a place to get good deals on them in Canada or even better around the Peterborough, Ontario area.
As far as Black Wheels go, there are a lot of options. 15-16" will keep the price of the tires down. You'll want 4.25" of backspacing or less. I would go with 8" wide wheels and get 33X12.50's for the stance you're looking for. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan

Registered
This is one massive can of worms, and everyone will have their input. 33s are great, and a good tire that I would recommend for your conditions is General Red Letter Grabbers in a 33x12.50 size. I ran a set of these and absolutely loved them! And like XTRyan said, going with a 15-16" wheel will definitely save you some money overall, and the backspacing he posted is right on point with where you'd want to be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Mojeaux, I do like the General Grabber, that's high on my list now and it hadn't been a brand I had looked at yet. Prices are good and availability is great. I haven't really decided what to do about winter though, looks like traction would be worse with these than the stock tires, I guess I have the choice to keep the stock's for winter or maybe drop down to the AT2.

And that's the exact things I was looking for XTRyan, I'll use those to find a set I like now that I have a better idea of what to look for.

Registered
Sorry to hijack the thread here, but I have the exact same project in mind, I have 2014 Sahara.

Might be a dumb question here, but would it not be cheaper to keep the stock 18inch wheels and just buy some 33s for it?

I have been looking around for some threads in the forum, but it always seems to end before I can find an adequate answer to this question.

I am also from Ontario and price is also a facto (Mark ups here in Canada is ridiculous)

Here is what I have in mind for tires with the stock 18inch wheel.

Goodyear Wrangler Territory - Canadian Tire

Will these fit the wheels though? LT275/70R18

Registered
I haven't swapped out my stock 18s yet as it's a want and not a need yet. However, when I do, I'm probably going 285/70/17 or 285/75/16 and GY Duratracs. I want more rubber and less rim. I like the rugged look. The 18" tires are expensive and you're stuck at the 18s for a long time unless you're willing to take the hit when you sell them. Plus, I am not putting a beefy tire on a polished aluminum rim as it's not the look I want.

Registered
I haven't swapped out my stock 18s yet as it's a want and not a need yet. However, when I do, I'm probably going 285/70/17 or 285/75/16 and GY Duratracs. I want more rubber and less rim. I like the rugged look. The 18" tires are expensive and you're stuck at the 18s for a long time unless you're willing to take the hit when you sell them. Plus, I am not putting a beefy tire on a polished aluminum rim as it's not the look I want.

Been looking closely at duratracs as well.
The reason for keeping the 18inches is purely financial.
However I am having problem (or more like havent figured out what tire size can go with what wheel size. I will be ordering online and last thing I want is to get a set of tires that cant be mounted on the wheels that I have ordered. Where do you get the measurement for the wheels that go with the tires)

As an example, the 285/70/17 duratrac, can I use any 17inch wheel to mount it on, or is there a number that I should be checking prior to my purchase.

I have looked at the website provided by XTRyan and there are great wheels in the 17inch department, but can they be used with these Duratrac tires.

i know its a big time noobish question.

Registered
However I am having problem (or more like havent figured out what tire size can go with what wheel size.
Alot of times the tire specs may list "Wheel Width Min" and "Wheel Width Max". That'll tell you.

If you can't find that, you can always call up a tire shop and just ask them. For my '98TJ I didn't have money for a lift but wanted to put the biggest tires I could on the stock rim so I just called a tire shop and said "I have a '98 Wrangler, what's the biggest tire I can put on the stock rim?" And they told me.

Registered
Been looking closely at duratracs as well. The reason for keeping the 18inches is purely financial. However I am having problem (or more like havent figured out what tire size can go with what wheel size. I will be ordering online and last thing I want is to get a set of tires that cant be mounted on the wheels that I have ordered. Where do you get the measurement for the wheels that go with the tires) As an example, the 285/70/17 duratrac, can I use any 17inch wheel to mount it on, or is there a number that I should be checking prior to my purchase. I have looked at the website provided by XTRyan and there are great wheels in the 17inch department, but can they be used with these Duratrac tires. i know its a big time noobish question.
The reason to go with a smaller diameter rim is because the tires become much less expensive. The Duratrac in 285/75 R16 (33s) is about $200. A comparable 33 for 18 inch rim is $244. When buying rims you need to understand back spacing. Factory rims for the JK have 6.25 inches and will clear a tire up to about 10.5 inches wide (conservative). For wider tires, like a 12.5 inch tire, you'd want at least 4.5 inches of back spacing. Tirerack.com will give you the recommended rim width on the specs page for whatever tire you're looking at.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't called around for pricing locally yet but one site that looks promising for pricing is https://www.tiredirect.ca/index.aspx Has anyone used them before?

Also, I really hated my polished rims and I ended up coating them with Plasti-Dip. They held up perfectly through winter and it can be peeled off to return them to the original finish.

Registered
Mojeaux, I do like the General Grabber, that's high on my list now and it hadn't been a brand I had looked at yet. Prices are good and availability is great. I haven't really decided what to do about winter though, looks like traction would be worse with these than the stock tires, I guess I have the choice to keep the stock's for winter or maybe drop down to the AT2.
I can't speak for snow because I never drove in snow with them in the area that I live in. However, I can tell you that they are exceptional in rain (I never had a problem (spinning or sliding)), excellent in mud (could self clean a bit better), and have very good road manners (they aren't very loud and handle pavement great). I haven't heard anyone complain about running these tires. Once I run through the current tires I have (33" Kelly Safaris), I will more than likely go back to a set of these Grabbers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really finding it hard to find 15" wheels that I like and that are available in Canada to go with the Grabbers, any suggestions?

Registered
I'm really finding it hard to find 15" wheels that I like and that are available in Canada to go with the Grabbers, any suggestions?
You could always go with a 16" instead. Many more options and shouldn't have any caliper clearance issues.

Super Moderator
You could always go with a 16" instead. Many more options and shouldn't have any caliper clearance issues.
True but then tires are limited. I ran 15's until running into tie rod clearance. Plus I never liked the wallowly feel w/ 35's on 15's.
Now 16's which was a big mistake. Tires/sizes are limited and you're pretty much stuck with E..... Maybe a D Load range.

Registered

And that's the exact things I was looking for XTRyan, I'll use those to find a set I like now that I have a better idea of what to look for.
To be honest for what you are describing as your preference, going from the General Grabber to the Grabber AT2 would be a major upgrade.
I was in the same boat and every bone in my body wanted those red labels, but if you look at both of them as tires and the realistic situation, the AT2 wins overall.
The only place I see the Red Label Grabbers winning is high speed desert running where you might hit and puncture on large rocks.

Other than that, the AT2 is:
Lighter
Quieter
Lives up to "All Terrains"
Less expensive
and most of all, last nearly twice as long.

I got my TJ with 33" BFG MT's. Then went to the Grabber AT2s. Sold.
Put 35" BFG ATs, they did good but didn't hold up to the abuse I put them through, large bubbles on 3 tires and one puncture.

I recently went to 15" Pro Comp Rock Crawler wheels and 35" General AT2s, couldn't be happier. Cost me less for all 4 wheels and all 4 tires then to buy just 4 tires for my 17" rims.

I respect BFG, but General Tire has my business from now on.

Registered
True but then tires are limited. I ran 15's until running into tie rod clearance. Plus I never liked the wallowly feel w/ 35's on 15's.
Now 16's which was a big mistake. Tires/sizes are limited and you're pretty much stuck with E..... Maybe a D Load range.
That wallowy feeling is might be from your short wheelbase boss! :)

I couldn't be happier with the 35 on 15's right now in my 4dr. Feels plush, durable, and looks so good. Glad I went this route instead of 37's on 17's to be honest.

P.S. I still miss my TJ, mostly so I can tell myself I still have a "real Jeep" hahaha.

Super Moderator
That wallowy feeling is might be from your short wheelbase boss! :) I couldn't be happier with the 35 on 15's right now in my 4dr. Feels plush, durable, and looks so good. Glad I went this route instead of 37's on 17's to be honest. P.S. I still miss my TJ, mostly so I can tell myself I still have a "real Jeep" hahaha.
Prob not the best way to describe it. It's not present now .... I still have a 2 door :D
"Mushy" maybe. Like under inflating the tires ?
Hard to describe !!

Registered
That's a beast. Very nice. :thumb:

I finally got off the pot and ordered new wheels and tires this afternoon. Should have them installed on Thursday.
I went with 285/70/17 Duratracs on black Rockstar2 rims. No lift needed so that saves some money.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, finally getting back to this as I'm getting close to getting the money to buy these.

My current thinking, unless I'm wrong is getting the 16" Pro Comp 7069-6873 and the Wrangler Duratac LT285/75R16 if they work with my 2013 Jeep, can someone just confirm they do, that it's a good choice(or not), and how they look.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts