Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have 17x8.5 rims with 5.2" backspace and +10mm offset. I hadn't even considered offset when I bought them (AEVs). Now, I'm looking at other rims. All I know is that I need a about 5" backsapce. So, what's the difference between the following in an 18x9 rim:

4.75 bs, -6mm offset
5.75 bs, +20mm offset
5.00 bs, 0mm offset

Another assumption is that I'll run the same profile tire: 285x75x18 (now 285x75x17). What's the offset on a stock 17x7.5 rim? I couldn't imagine that tires could get more confusing! Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2600617^This will answer your questions on wheel width, BS and offset!
Thanks, partner. So, it comes down to the sane thing, I think. One's a function of the other. Every 9" rim with 5" backspace will have the same offset. Please don't tell me I'm wrong! :happyyes:

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Thanks, partner. So, it comes down to the sane thing, I think. One's a function of the other. Every 9" rim with 5" backspace will have the same offset. Please don't tell me I'm wrong! :happyyes:
Read this.. some manufactures provide offset and back spacing dimensions.. most just offset. I don't know why..

https://www.rsracing.com/TechWheel.aspx

I always measure back spacing.. the key is you need to know where the wheel needs to fit in the factory wheel well, considering all the components the wheel and desired tire will come into contact.

This includes:
Brake calipers
Frame
Wheel wells
Suspension

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts
Go with the 4.75 or 5" bs.

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts
Correct

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go with the 4.75 or 5" bs.
Thanks! That's my plan. I also found a site that makes searching a little easier. http://rimzoneonline.com/wheelsearch. Now, however, I see that not every manufacturer indicates whether the wheels are hub-centric, which I think is something I want. AFAIK, my JKU hubs are 71.5 mm. Some decent rims, like Fuels, are lug-centric at 78.1.

As I recall, my present 17" AEVs are hub-centric. So, do I have yet another thing to consider, or is lug-centric just as good? :pullinghair:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sub. For when I upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts
Thanks! That's my plan. I also found a site that makes searching a little easier. http://rimzoneonline.com/wheelsearch. Now, however, I see that not every manufacturer indicates whether the wheels are hub-centric, which I think is something I want. AFAIK, my JKU hubs are 71.5 mm. Some decent rims, like Fuels, are lug-centric at 78.1.

As I recall, my present 17" AEVs are hub-centric. So, do I have yet another thing to consider, or is lug-centric just as good? :pullinghair:
AEV originally was hub centric but then at some point they were not longer hub centric and after they were no longer hub centric aev said being hub centric was no big deal lol. you are correct your hubs are 71.5mm. Not sure if the salta or savgres are hub centric still but the pintlers are not. millions of lug centric wheels running around with no problems. I use hub centric rings on my racelines but not sure if they are necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts