Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ with Dana 35. I need help ASAP. When I got home to visit family the rear passenger side wheel bearing and seal blew spewing diff fluid all over the wheel and making a huge mess. We have the drum, shoes, the differential cover off, and the c-clip removed from the axel, and have the passenger side axel out. The seal came out pretty easily. However we CANNOT get the wheel bearing out. Is there a special tool needed? Auto parts store recommended the back of a claw hammer but it's so tight it won't budge and we dont want to risk damaging the axel housing.

Also, what fluid goes into the Dana 35? 75w90, or 75w140?

Does the 1991 jeep have a limited sleep diff? I doubt it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can disassemble bear to the outer race.weld a bead on outer race all the way around let cool and it will shrink and jus about fall out

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can disassemble bear to the outer race.weld a bead on outer race all the way around let cool and it will shrink and jus about fall out
We don't have a welder anywhere near us. I looked into it and I guess I could get a puller that grabs it from behind. I'll see if I could pick one up tomorrow. I'll remember that welding trick for future reference.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You can rent the tool from an auto parts store. Its a large slide hammer with a swivel type fitting on the end that you insert into the bearing and it swivels to catch the back side of the bearing allowing the slide hammer to pull it out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A slide hammer with a bearing attachment will typically work well.

I have used this process on a friend's Dana 35 when the slide hammer didn't work. Remove the carrier and tap out the bearing from the other side using a long pipe. Slide a large socket into the tube - about 32 or 36mm socket, I think. Insert it from the pumpkin, and put a short 6" extension on it to center the pipe. I think I used 3/4" rigid conduit about 6' long. And a 5 lb sledge hammer.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Remember to check the axle for wear {there always is}, and the axle needs to be changed out as well because it is the inter race of your bearing, if it has any wear, you will be doing this job over if not replaced.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got it out. The parts store rented us the wrong tool at first, a pilot bearing puller… We got a specific bearing puller for rear axels and when I used it, it come out right away. The axel had little to no wear. Got the new bearing in, new seal, new gear oil, and cleaned up the pumpkin. All better now just in time for the drum brake cylinder to start leaking brake fluid after we put it all back together haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts