Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So some of you know I ordered my wheels and tires earlier this week. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the wheels had to be ordered in and they aren't expected to be delivered until the 17th at the earliest.

The wheels I went with are the 15x8 Level 8 Trackers. Always loved the styling if this wheel. However, this wheel has a very shallow backspace; 3.32" to be exact. That is one of the least backspaced wheel that I know of. Of course, this means that the wheel/tire will protrude from the Jeep quite a good ways. These wheels are the be mounted on 33x12.5x15 Duratracs.

Now, because of the backspacing of the Trackers, I have really been thinking about going with a different wheel. However, I am really not feeling any of the other 15" options. Not sure why, just not for some reason.

So, I have been looking into the 16" options out there. I don't really ever plan to go over 35" tires, so 16s will work for me.

The options I have been considering are the Level 8 Tracker (of course) and the Level 8 Strike 5, both in matte black. Both of these wheels are 16x8.5 and have a -6 offset, which equates to a backspace of 4.5".

If I go with the 16s, I will be wrapping them on 285/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires. These tires get great reviews and are $70 a tire cheaper than the Duratracs of the same size! That is $350 worth if savings for the set of 5. Also, the Rocky Mountains are a load range D, whereas the Duratrac is a load range E. Not really wanting to go with the E tire.

So, now, what are you guys opinions? Stick it out with the 15" Trackers and deal with the possibilty of them sticking out farther than my liking? Or step up to the 16" wheel? If step up, which one? Tracker or Strike 5. I'm leaning Strike 5s since they have that star shape which matches up with the WWII stars I have on my hood and quarter panel.

Sorry for the excruciatingly long post. Here is a pic of each wheel I am considering. Any and all input is welcome and appreciated. And I know this is a post about wheels, but it is specific to ky JKU, so I wanted to put it here. :D. Plus, this area is the best! :rock:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a pic I have showing how far the Trackers protrude from the fender. Keep in mind that this rig has a 2.5" TF lift and is running 35" MTR-Ks. I will only be running a leveling kit.

Also, here us a pic of the Strike 5. It is also on different tires than I would be running, but it should give you an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kjeeper10 said:
What's that .5 on each side? Would not worry to much.

I would stay with what you chose :)

And post lots of pics when you getum :thumb:
Yeah, actually only .42" on each side. Haha. But that is when compared to something like the MB72s, which have 3.75" of backspace. Compared to either of the 16" options, it is almost 1.25".

I know, I know. I'm sure I'm just being insane, but what do ya do. Lol

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm probably gonna differ from most here, who are gonna advise you to stick with what you've ordered. I'd go with the 16" deal.

First of all, I like the Strike 5 wheel better. But that's just me.

I consider any weight savings between the 15 and 16" setups to be pretty much a wash, and with the low cost of the Falkens you're not gonna get hosed too bad on the total cost. You'll pay a little more, but it's not like you're looking at 20" Mickey Thompsons.

The biggest reason for choosing the 16's, at least for me, is the bs on the 15's. 3.32 is just too far out from the tire, IMO. It's almost the same as running a set of 1.25" Spidertrax on wheels that have proper 4.5" bs. Too much stress on wheel bearings, etc. Plus, every time it even drizzles, your tires are gonna paint your rig with road grime. That's not a big concern for those of us who wheel, but it can get kind've annoying. I don't think there's a fender out there that'll provide coverage for tires that stick out that far.

One final point: If, at some point, you decide to move up to 35" tires, with the 16" rim you'll be able to buy real tires, like the DuraTracs, which don't come in a 35" size for 15" rims. :D

Bikini Boy.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have 16" Level 8 Strike 5's on mine with 285/75R16 Duratracs and I wish they were in about another 1/2" so that the entire tread was under the fender and only the bulge stuck out. Having said that I would not want a tire that stuck out even more but it really is a personal opinion.

...although the a week after I put the new wheels & tires on I put a pretty good chip in the rear door hinge. Was it caused by the tires sticking out, not sure but...I also run Mopar front flaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am thinking that I am getting ready to call DTD and have the order switched. I have been undecided ever since I ordered them, and I think that should be a really good indicator that I probably will not be pleased with how far they stick out.

I think I will be very happy with the Strike 5s and Rocky Mountains. I'm not a mudding fan, so no worries there. From what I understand, the Rocky Mountains perform very well in most every other terrain.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I am thinking that I am getting ready to call DTD and have the order switched. I have been undecided ever since I ordered them, and I think that should be a really good indicator that I probably will not be pleased with how far they stick out.

I think I will be very happy with the Strike 5s and Rocky Mountains. I'm not a mudding fan, so no worries there. From what I understand, the Rocky Mountains perform very well in most every other terrain.
I've learned over the years to always trust my gut instinct. Rarely lets me down.

If I had the thought you just voiced above, I'd switch.

BTW...it was fairly apparent to me, just from reading your initial post, that you had reservations.

Clues:

Unfortunately (or fortunately)

That is one of the least backspaced wheel that I know of.

I don't really ever plan to go over 35" tires, so 16s will work for me.

(the whole paragraph justifying the Falkens).

Stick it out with the 15" Trackers and deal with the possibilty of them sticking out farther than my liking?

I'm leaning Strike 5s since they have that star shape which matches up with the WWII stars I have on my hood and quarter panel.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kbwwolf said:
I've learned over the years to always trust my gut instinct. Rarely lets me down.

If I had the thought you just voiced above, I'd switch.

BTW...it was fairly apparent to me, just from reading your initial post, that you had reservations.

Clues:

Unfortunately (or fortunately)

That is one of the least backspaced wheel that I know of.

I don't really ever plan to go over 35" tires, so 16s will work for me.

(the whole paragraph justifying the Falkens).

Stick it out with the 15" Trackers and deal with the possibilty of them sticking out farther than my liking?

I'm leaning Strike 5s since they have that star shape which matches up with the WWII stars I have on my hood and quarter panel.
Why do I feel like I just left the psychologist? Hahaha.

You make very good points.....about my points. Lol. I just called DTD and left Matt a message. Was hoping to catch him before he headed out for the day, but no such luck. Hopefully I will hear back from him tomorrow and they should be on their way to me shortly.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Why do I feel like I just left the psychologist? Hahaha.

You make very good points.....about my points. Lol. I just called DTD and left Matt a message. Was hoping to catch him before he headed out for the day, but no such luck. Hopefully I will hear back from him tomorrow and they should be on their way to me shortly.
Personally, I think you're gonna have a rocking combo. :punk:

And one that not a lot of other peeps have, either. That's always a bonus.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just read this thread, as I too was considering the 15" Level 8's. Is it really that bad for the tires to be sticking out? Or is it just a personal preference?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
AC94 said:
Just read this thread, as I too was considering the 15" Level 8's. Is it really that bad for the tires to be sticking out? Or is it just a personal preference?
Preference mostly.

Unless where you live has laws on tires exceeding the fenders.

Also risk paint damage from debris and rocks plastering your sides :(

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
It's not bad like, say, buying a crap lift is bad. Or like buying chrome spinners with dubs before a wheeling trip at Rausch Creek.

But wheels with 3.32 bs will put a lot of stress on your wheel bearings, and will paint your Jeep every shade of roadcrap color you roll through, and won't be tamed by any fenders currently on the market.

However, said wheels will give you a wider, more stable stance, which is good, especially if you decide to throw a 4" body lift under a 6" coil lift on your rig. Which would be really, really bad.

Make sense? :D

To sum up...it's a personal preference. Mostly.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Wow good thread. Well, for nothing else than the Falken discussion for me. I've been trying to figure the same thing out myself still (15 vs. 16) and Duratrac vs. Hankook vs. Falken and avoiding E rated tires while not being forced into 15" size if I do so. This looks like more ammo for the Falken. I saw that JP Mag gave it really good reviews too on pretty much everything but mud where it got a 2 of 4 star "it'll work but there's better out there" rating. Also have to keep as much under the fender as possible due to CA laws I found out.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
kbwwolf said:
It's not bad like, say, buying a crap lift is bad. Or like buying chrome spinners with dubs before a wheeling trip at Rausch Creek.

But wheels with 3.32 bs will put a lot of stress on your wheel bearings, and will paint your Jeep every shade of roadcrap color you roll through, and won't be tamed by any fenders currently on the market.

However, said wheels will give you a wider, more stable stance, which is good, especially if you decide to throw a 4" body lift under a 6" coil lift on your rig. Which would be really, really bad.

Make sense? :D

To sum up...it's a personal preference. Mostly.
You sure have a way with words :D

"every shade of roadcrap" :rofl:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts