Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Wheel Colour

• Matt Black

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Gloss Black

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Anthracite

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Leave 'em Silver

Votes: 7 15.2%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my standard 18" wheels powder coated another colour and I am not sure which.

I am running a black ultimate.

What you reckon?

Matt Black
Gloss Black
Anthracite
Leave 'em silver

Cheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Damn, color my ass ignorant, I didnt even know you could paint wheels.

I gotta vote for matte black as well. And am now considering this myself instead of buying new rims. How much would a paint shop charge for something like this?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Buy new wheels, you'll need the backspacing for wider tires anyway, save a few $$$

·
Registered
186 Posts
i vote rattle can matte black. i powdercoated my LR3 wheels a gloss black, which looks pretty sweet, but they have gotten beat up pretty good out on the trails. spray paint is a lot cheaper and will look better in the end because it is easy to just repaint them. just my 2cents.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I agree with one of the other posters. Get new wheels for just a little more then an expensive powder coat and change the backspace so you can upgrade tires whenever you want. I heard of the cheap way of painting by using self etching primer and bedliner paint but powder coating is very expensive unless you own a paint shop then matte black or a semi gloss

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
New wheels would be around £2k with tyres and powder coating all 5 wheels would be £325, a big difference for sure.
Holy mother of the Pound Sterling! Why are wheels & tires so expensive over there?

I sold my 18s and bought 16" wheels and 33" tires. I paid a net of about $1300 ----- and I continue to reap the dividend of that move every time I replace the rubber for the 16s vs the 18.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy mother of the Pound Sterling! Why are wheels & tires so expensive over there?

I sold my 18s and bought 16" wheels and 33" tires. I paid a net of about $1300 ----- and I continue to reap the dividend of that move every time I replace the rubber for the 16s vs the 18.
Why? Thats Great Britain dude! Like most things are sadly.

Still there is always the savings we have on health insurance...........lol

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Why? Thats Great Britain dude! Like most things are sadly.
There's been talk of instituting a VAT here; so far we don't have anything like that.
You have my pity, sir.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New wheels would be around £2k with tyres and powder coating all 5 wheels would be £325, a big difference for sure.
Speak American damn you! :D Just Kidding, I would sell those rims and buy a set where you can put some real rubber on them

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
If you want to change them UNTIL you can save up to replace them, I'd definitely recommend painting them rather than powder coating them.

Not FLAT black either. Go with a SATIN finish.
It's not shiny, but not flat. Flat is - dull and lifeless and much more difficult to keep clean.

My wheels got pretty banged up on the rocks and I decided to give them a coat of paint. I like them better now than I ever did when they were all shiny.

It's not a difficult or expensive process. You just have to take your time and pay attention to detail.
Materials:
Scotch Brite pads or 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
Bucket of water with three DROPS of Dawn dish soap in it. The soap just makes the water "wetter" it's purpose is not to clean and you don't want to leave a film.
Masking Tape & newspaper
Wax & grease remover
Tack cloth
Self etching primer
Satin Black paint

Not everyone will go to the extreme that I did, but here's how I went about it.

Pull the tires off of the Jeep.
Next, clean the wheels & tires really well.

Let the air out, and pull the valve stems, pop the bead loose from the wheel on the outside. Use the masking tape around the bead of tire first then tape news paper to that covering it completely to prevent over spray from making a mess. Mark on the tape where your weights are. Pull the weights off. A digital photo can be a very helpful tool for this as well. Marks & photos assure proper replacement.

Scuff or wet sand them (using the water in the bucket) Make sure to do a really good job of getting all of the nooks and crannies and leaving NO shiny spots. Wipe down well with the wax and grease remover. Wipe it on and with a clean cloth dry it off. Allow to dry completely then wipe with a tack cloth to remove any little bits of surface contaminants.

Apply Two or three LIGHT coats of primer
Two light and one medium coats of paint.

Replace the valve stems with NEW ones, air them up again, put the weights back on and you're ready to roll.

Before:

After:

The real advantage to paint over power coat is (as stated above) if you bang it up, you can repair it.
Once powder coating gets a chip in it, moisture gets underneath and it can starts deteriorating and flaking off in big chunks. Paint, you just sand it a little and touch it up.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Nice job, Kate; looks good.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Thank you!
With proper prep and good materials they are holding up quite well too. Even to pressure washing.
I did them in June and they still look great, even after several wheelin trips.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Speak American damn you! :D Just Kidding, I would sell those rims and buy a set where you can put some real rubber on them
:D Queens English only my man.

After spilling cash on the Jeep, I want to upgrade the audio a little and do the wheels until funds are replenished to maybe get some wheels.

It will not be going off road so it powder shouldn't be an issue providing I avoid the kerbs.

Them off road hoops do look the business but they are not needed and way too expensive over here.

We'll see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you!
With proper prep and good materials they are holding up quite well too. Even to pressure washing.
I did them in June and they still look great, even after several wheelin trips.
Looks wicked, and a really tidy job. If you are planning a trip to UK bring your tools.

The kettle is on.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Looks wicked, and a really tidy job. If you are planning a trip to UK bring your tools.

The kettle is on.
By golly, if I were on my way, I'd be on my way!;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts