Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a small puddle of brake fluid under my pass. side rear wheel today, as well and some sitting on the inner lip of my wheel (see pic), I'm guessing that I need to replace the wheel cylinder? can someone confirm this? I'm not super familiar with dumb...I mean drum brakes. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same problem a few weeks ago... I had to end up replacing the wheel cylinders on both sides :-/

·
Registered
635 Posts
Rear wheel cylinders are about $10 each new. If one is bad, the other isnt long to follow. Go ahead and replace both. Be prepared on replacing the brake shoes as well. If the shoes have absorbed brake fluid, they are ruined. Another reason to replace both cylinders.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honestly, while you are in there, replacing brake pads and wheel cylinder, do your spring kits as well. more then likely, its pretty rusted, and you should do it while you are in there. Also, they are pretty cheap, and not any extra work, since you will be taking the drum breaks apart anyway.

Wheel cylinder would be my guess. does your breaks have any pressure still? and if so, go under there and look at that tire, and have someone hit the breaks.

I hate working on drums, but have done it enough where it is not to bad. If you are fairly new to drum brakes, I would lift the rear end up, remove both tires, and work on one while keeping the other all together so you can look at the springs... I know someone (me) who thought it was a good idea to take both apart at the same time the first time I did it. A lot easier keeping one together to see where everything goes. Good luck, and I wouldn't drive it til you get her done. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, got the cylinders, $8 each, haven't had a chance to put them in yet, there is still pressure on the pedal, though not as much as there should be, I think I'll see about a spring kit and pads and try to get at it this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts