Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning we had some snow and I was out and about driving. Nothing too crazy, had 4HI engaged but didn't go over 35mph. Now all of a sudden, every time I turn left while I'm driving the steering wheel shakes a little as if the wheel wants to go back straight. Almost like if you're on dry ground and have 4HI engaged. I know it's in 2WD because I pulled into some snow and only the rear tires spin. I replaced the tie rod and drag link including tie rod ends in the fall. Anybody have any ideas?? Could it be unbalanced tires or alignment issues?? Drives straight on the highway

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it for another ride this night. Did some highway. 65mph no wobble and driving straight. Now that I've driven it more, the steering wheel does more of a jerking movement. As if someone has control of the steering and is trying to counter steer. Is completely controllable, but it just jerks back and forth. Didn't see any snow build up or anything and I didn't hit any curbs

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think it could be the power steering? If so, round up some Lucas power steering additive.
would the power steering cause a the steering wheel to jerk while turning?? Power steering fluid levels are good. I Do have a lot of play in the steering wheel and hear a whine sometimes when turn the wheel...

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
would the power steering cause a the steering wheel to jerk while turning??
It sure can. I had that problem several years ago with a Cherokee. Right turns were no problem, but with a left turn, the steering wheel would kick back. Added a bottle of Lucas p/s additive. The problem was solved before I got out of the store parking lot and hasn't come back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sure can. I had that problem several years ago with a Cherokee. Right turns were no problem, but with a left turn, the steering wheel would kick back. Added a bottle of Lucas p/s additive. The problem was solved before I got out of the store parking lot and hasn't come back.
I'll try that since right now it's the cheapest method haha. Thank you. I'll keep you guys posted on the results

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked p/s fluid it's topped up...do you guys think I should drain if and out new p/s additive?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Check the axle ujoints and hub assemblies.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ujoints are the culprits on this one. Also need to replace the u joints on the rear driveshaft but was hoping to put it off for a while to get a SYE....start with axle u joints and go from there. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,397 Posts
Go with Spicer 5-760x u-joints for the axle shafts, that's a superb/stronger/more durable direct-fit upgrade to the Spicer 5-297x u-joint the factory installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts